Scarlets Cut Flower Patch 2022/23/24
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are all of these varieties of snapdragons??
SnapDragons
Potomac lavender
Potomac orange
The rose
Madam butterfly mixed
Madam butterfly orange

Wow that’s awesome. I’m learning I know nothing about flowers!
You have so many things on your list I’m going to have to google.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-09-2022, 08:22 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Are all of these varieties of snapdragons??
SnapDragons
Potomac lavender
Potomac orange
The rose
Madam butterfly mixed
Madam butterfly orange

Wow that’s awesome. I’m learning I know nothing about flowers!
You have so many things on your list I’m going to have to google.
Yes. The potomac varieties are amazing for cutting. They can be 5ft tall. Have a very strong stem. They are F1s, they seed is really expensive. I have saved seed but in the end thought that the space and time I would use would be worth more than saving pennies on the seed? I think they are £3.70 per pack? You can pinch put the growing tips and root those to double your plants.

Some of the garden varieties arent very good for a cut flower. The stems can be a bit thin. 
The madame butterfly varieties are double blooms, beautiful.

I maybe should have taken cuttings in Summer for next year?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today I mostly cut flowers but also did some weeding of my anemone bed.

I didnt know what to expect of this - but lots are starting to sprout already. Very much full on weeds - maybe needed a thin layer of compost? I will need to plant through weed membrane on some beds to save me some time.

Even though i love the cut flower thing and know that ideally i should be saving my greenhouse space for sowing seed - I slipped up amd bought myself some new dahlia tubers.

Ive ordered 12 new varieties- hoping to take cuttings of these.... I haven't got anywhere to put these really. I need several more growing beds and wondering if 54 is too old to start digging up the lawn!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bye bye lawn  Big Grin . Of course 54 isn’t to old to start digging the lawn up. Especially if you do it around Christmas ( or any other holiday) when your boys are home from uni to help  Wink .
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-10-2022, 08:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Bye bye lawn  Big Grin . Of course 54 isn’t to old to start digging the lawn up. Especially if you do it around Christmas ( or any other holiday) when your boys are home from uni to help  Wink .

Big Grin they don't help!! They think I'm nuts - No.1 son does the lawn cutting - not very good.
No. 2 will always wheelbarrow compost/wood chips around.. but thats about it!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
54 isn't too old to do anything. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Nothing in my head stops me....its the body lets me down. Big Grin

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-10-2022, 09:15 AM)Scarlet Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 08:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Bye bye lawn  Big Grin . Of course 54 isn’t to old to start digging the lawn up. Especially if you do it around Christmas ( or any other holiday) when your boys are home from uni to help  Wink .

Big Grin they don't help!! They think I'm nuts - No.1 son does the lawn cutting - not very good.
No. 2 will always wheelbarrow compost/wood chips around.. but thats about it!
Big Grin Big Grin  No 1 can continue to cut the lawn by using a spade  Wink . No 2 can barrow the turf away   Big Grin  .
 I’m sure they’d much rather a nuts lady as there mum , then someone normal & boring  Smile  .
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sad day for me today Oct 11th, second frost... the dahlias are no more. Ive thoroughly enjoyed this year, the whole growing experience - very different to growing for myself. Learnt loads on the need of successional sowing, varieties that may be good for others maybe not so much for me... you pick what you like, things that I may not like on its own, complementing things that I love, colours that work well together etc. I have loved meeting those that have enjoyed my flowers and have been thrilled to catch people taking photos and chatting flowers. Cant wait to do it all again!
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
We’ve all enjoyed seeing your flowers and we’ve learnt with you. Thank you.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie