Modern vernacular
JJB Online
Moonraker
Following in from Veggie's festive funny about the older generation, of which I proudly count myself, I wondered how much of the youngster's 'speak' we truly understand, and not just the rude ones Smile

I mentioned finding out what 'swipe right' meant and I recently saw a headline mentioning 'woke' and hadn't got a clue what it meant.  It seems that it means to be aware of social/racial prejudices or injustices. 
New one to me.

Anybody else got some newfangled words or phrases that we wrinklies might not understand?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't understand "woke" either and I dislike hearing "mature" people saying it - trying too hard to be part of the younger generation - some politicians for example Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
My brother in law caused much hilarity amongst his kids a few Christmases ago (must have been at least 15 now I think about it!) talking about THE WhatsApp.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I still don't know what WhatsApp is or Tiktok!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(19-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Veggie Wrote: I still don't know what WhatsApp is or Tiktok!

Whatsapp is a bit like this forum but just using smart mobile phones so no strangers can look in.
Tiktok might be a Chinese clock.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
There's nothing smart about my mobile phone - especially the user. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Spec

Spec Offline
Not very keen on mobile phones, I never can find a phone socket to plug it intoConfused
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Mine doesn't work either - there's no slot for the pennies.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Spec

SarrissUK Offline
Oh I couldn't do without my smartphone! Travelling back to Sweden I had all my window measurements, so I could buy gonk curtains knowing they'd fit. I had my vaccination proof on that phone, my booking details for the police for getting my new passport, lists of food I wanted to buy to bring home that I kept adding to as my sister was cooking all this delicious food lol
I wouldn't want to be without mine, for the world.

Woke though... I do understand the meaning of the word, and have always felt I've been aware of social, racial and gender injustices all my life, especially as a woman, and even more so, a Swede living in the UK. But I dislike the fact that it needs a word like woke for the social moral framework to be noticed by the media and prats like Laurence Fox, and for that to be used as a weapon against people. It's a sad world.

Tiktok is not something I have partaken in, but it's short videos used to make a point, make a joke or make a fool of yourself. I reckon you'd find a great use for it, much better than 99% of the vids on there!
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
My house phone broke a few years ago...maybe more than 5 Big Grin I've not had it fixed yet!

I use my mobile all the time. I don't have a computer in the house- I use WhatsApp lots. Uses my wifi for sending messages/photos
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie