Garden And Gossip Forums
Modern vernacular - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Modern vernacular (/showthread.php?tid=1365)

Pages: 1 2

Modern vernacular - JJB - 19-12-2021

Following in from Veggie's festive funny about the older generation, of which I proudly count myself, I wondered how much of the youngster's 'speak' we truly understand, and not just the rude ones Smile

I mentioned finding out what 'swipe right' meant and I recently saw a headline mentioning 'woke' and hadn't got a clue what it meant.  It seems that it means to be aware of social/racial prejudices or injustices. 
New one to me.

Anybody else got some newfangled words or phrases that we wrinklies might not understand?

RE: Modern vernacular - Veggie - 19-12-2021

I don't understand "woke" either and I dislike hearing "mature" people saying it - trying too hard to be part of the younger generation - some politicians for example Wink

RE: Modern vernacular - PyreneesPlot - 19-12-2021

My brother in law caused much hilarity amongst his kids a few Christmases ago (must have been at least 15 now I think about it!) talking about THE WhatsApp.

RE: Modern vernacular - Veggie - 19-12-2021

I still don't know what WhatsApp is or Tiktok!

RE: Modern vernacular - Mark_Riga - 20-12-2021

(19-12-2021, 11:20 PM)Veggie Wrote: I still don't know what WhatsApp is or Tiktok!

Whatsapp is a bit like this forum but just using smart mobile phones so no strangers can look in.
Tiktok might be a Chinese clock.

RE: Modern vernacular - Veggie - 20-12-2021

There's nothing smart about my mobile phone - especially the user. Big Grin

RE: Modern vernacular - Spec - 20-12-2021

Not very keen on mobile phones, I never can find a phone socket to plug it intoConfused

RE: Modern vernacular - Veggie - 20-12-2021

Mine doesn't work either - there's no slot for the pennies.

RE: Modern vernacular - SarrissUK - 20-12-2021

Oh I couldn't do without my smartphone! Travelling back to Sweden I had all my window measurements, so I could buy gonk curtains knowing they'd fit. I had my vaccination proof on that phone, my booking details for the police for getting my new passport, lists of food I wanted to buy to bring home that I kept adding to as my sister was cooking all this delicious food lol
I wouldn't want to be without mine, for the world.

Woke though... I do understand the meaning of the word, and have always felt I've been aware of social, racial and gender injustices all my life, especially as a woman, and even more so, a Swede living in the UK. But I dislike the fact that it needs a word like woke for the social moral framework to be noticed by the media and prats like Laurence Fox, and for that to be used as a weapon against people. It's a sad world.

Tiktok is not something I have partaken in, but it's short videos used to make a point, make a joke or make a fool of yourself. I reckon you'd find a great use for it, much better than 99% of the vids on there!

RE: Modern vernacular - Scarlet - 20-12-2021

My house phone broke a few years ago...maybe more than 5 Big Grin I've not had it fixed yet!

I use my mobile all the time. I don't have a computer in the house- I use WhatsApp lots. Uses my wifi for sending messages/photos