Christmas presents.
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm just not part of the over-commercialized spendfest that Christmas has become.
For example, instead of buying Charity Christmas cards (that make a minimal % for charity and end up in recycling 2 weeks later)) I prefer to donate directly to a Charity. Is that daft? Tongue
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 7 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
We donate food hampers to the local needy via a local church, certainly not for any religious beliefs but that way 100% goes to it's intended target.

I read an article a few weeks back and some national charities take almost 80p in the £1 for running costs!
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 7 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-12-2021, 02:25 PM)Veggie Wrote: Same here JJB - and for the same reasons.
However, I've bought 3 copies of a locally published book about the heroes commemorated on the village war memorial and those that had connections with the parish that are not commemorated. One of those was an uncle that I never knew but my Mother had photos of him that have been included in the book. I'm going to give a book to his son (my cousin) who never knew his father, and one to my brother. the third copy is for me.
That's it - nothing else. No cards, do pressies, no decorations, no crackers, no festive meal..................

Bah Humbug. Tongue

We do the decs and the  meal and the edible accessories, merely because we're gutty and I like pretty lights.  Would you go somewhere for Christmas dinner if you were invited? Having said that I've never been invited for Xmas dinner by anyone. Big Grin  . Our lad, whose wife is spending Christmas away with her own parents, is cooking dinner at home on the day for 5 adult friends and two children, he must be mad, but is really looking forward to it.  Rolleyes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-12-2021, 07:44 PM)JJB Wrote:
(15-12-2021, 02:25 PM)Veggie Wrote: Same here JJB - and for the same reasons.
However, I've bought 3 copies of a locally published book about the heroes commemorated on the village war memorial and those that had connections with the parish that are not commemorated. One of those was an uncle that I never knew but my Mother had photos of him that have been included in the book. I'm going to give a book to his son (my cousin) who never knew his father, and one to my brother. the third copy is for me.
That's it - nothing else. No cards, do pressies, no decorations, no crackers, no festive meal..................

Bah Humbug. Tongue

We do the decs and the  meal and the edible accessories, merely because we're gutty and I like pretty lights.  Would you go somewhere for Christmas dinner if you were invited? Having said that I've never been invited for Xmas dinner by anyone. Big Grin  . Our lad, whose wife is spending Christmas away with her own parents, is cooking dinner at home on the day for 5 adult friends and two children, he must be mad, but is really looking forward to it.  Rolleyes
My neighbours have two daughters, one year neither of the girls were visiting over Xmas so I asked them to join us, they always come for nibbles and drinks at noon every year and bring whoever is home. Daughters, boyfriends/husbands.
Anyway, they wanted to stay home and invited us to go to theirs instead! Such a memorable day. We had two young boys, they had indoor fireworks, lots of in between courses, games. It was such a fab day!
[-] The following 6 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I got some lovely presents. Got one of these.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/55133/came...se/details

Lots of lovely clothes. A garden diary and the best presents a big box of mini cheddars

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I might be getting a new radio, ours on the top of our 6ft fridge (which I can't reach without climbing on a chair) has broken. P currently researching suitable replacement but finding it difficult. It needs to retain presets when shut down from mains.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Oh nearly forgot! With money we were under strict instructions not to spend on the house but to spend it on ourselves. I adopted a pangolin & Bob brought himself some earbud speaker things.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 6 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
My parents gave me some snips and loppers, an electric screwdriver, and some slate plant markers that will come in very handy. My younger brother has given me some pots for my houseplants and a hedgehog mug. My older brother gave me some games on Steam that will be a good distraction when it is too chilly to go out (there's a light dusting of snow in the garden here so I'm not rushing outside this morning!) and a cookbook based on the Fallout 4 game. 

It's also been my birthday since I last saw any of my family, so some of those were birthday presents rather than for Christmas, but who knows which were which!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 9 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Before we left home I got a portable gas bbq for my camper and then for my surprise on Christmas morning I got a new set of air buds for my iPod from my wife. Happy happy. My daughter decided I needed a new wok so I got this new fancy wok that can go in the oven without the handle heating up looking forward to trying it out, and my son bought me a gorilla to look over my garden. I will try post a picture of him, he’s way to big and heavy to get into the car, son will need to deliver him in the van.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 5 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Jay, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ooh, I was very spoilt this year - I wrote list as my boys always struggle. I've never had so much.

So I had my cattle trough, a pond pump, 2 lilac bushes, a sambuca, a Jasmine, 2 pink roses, and some perfume!
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie