Garlic 2021-22
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
That's right, Alisina - if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
You can grow garlic in pots if you're short on space too - so its very versatile.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Garlic is looking good this year. It is starting with rust a bit now but should be ok to harvest over the next few weeks.

I've no idea what the varieties are but I stuck seed labels between each different bulb and will keep the biggest to sow again in the autumn. I'll keep one of each separate as well to see which stores the longest so I can grow more that keep longer - but I won't know till well after the crop is planted.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Unfortunately my Iberian Wight in the front garden got really bad rust this year and the bulbs are small, so I'm not sure I'll be keeping any for planting this autumn. The Solent Wight in the back garden is only just get a tiny bit of rust, so that looks more promising. Next year I'm going to plant cloves further apart as the way I've been doing it (6 inches apart, 4 to a square foot) compromises airflow, though this is the worst and earliest rust I've ever had so...
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Is it fair to say this is ready to lift, if not a little late?

Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Broadway Offline
(24-06-2022, 09:22 AM)Broadway Wrote: Is it fair to say this is ready to lift, if not a little late?
In the end I lifted a few!

First time growing elephant garlic and was surprised to see little bulbs on the base(corms?) Does anyone know how long these can be stored before replanting?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Is the garlic in the photo Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic?
I leave the little bulblets in the ground to do their own thing. The Big bulbs are the ones you eat or plant for next year's crop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
They are a mixture Veggie. Re the bulblets can I store then plant in October?
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I leave my elephant garlic to flower, then dig it up. As I said, I leave the little bulblets in the ground, keep the big ones to use or plant, and plant them when the mood takes me - usually late autumn. The large ones store well, don't see why the small ones wouldn't too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(24-06-2022, 03:11 PM)Veggie Wrote: I leave my elephant garlic to flower, then dig it up. As I said, I leave the little bulblets in the ground, keep the big ones to use or plant, and plant them when the mood takes me - usually late autumn. The large ones store well, don't see why the small ones wouldn't too.
Thanks, I have 10 so will store and plant in big pots the first year, apparently they do not divide until the 2nd year?
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(24-06-2022, 03:59 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(24-06-2022, 03:11 PM)Veggie Wrote: I leave my elephant garlic to flower, then dig it up. As I said, I leave the little bulblets in the ground, keep the big ones to use or plant, and plant them when the mood takes me - usually late autumn. The large ones store well, don't see why the small ones wouldn't too.
Thanks, I have 10 so will store and plant in big pots the first year, apparently they do not divide until the 2nd year?
I haven't had much joy with these small bulbils? Last year when I dug up my elephant garlic I saved the bulbils and planted them on the surface in a large pot. They are still on the surface now and haven't put out any roots. I even took a few and took off the hard outer coating to se if that would help.............but it didn't!
This years crop of elephant garlic now has large 'scapes' over a metre high and I may lift one to see whats happening at the base?
Just read from BBC Gardeners World where it is recommended to remove scapes, but no mention of bulbils?

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/gr...nt-garlic/
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man