Garlic 2021-22
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-01-2022, 04:06 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(30-01-2022, 01:13 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm not a fan of normal garlic - its too strong and fiddly to prepare. Elephant garlic is milder, the cloves are huge, its easy to grow and the flowers are attractive. I leave mine in the ground all year round. Dig up some cloves at the end of the season and leave the tiny cloves around the sides in situ for another year.
I harvested the tiny clove-lets and am trying to grow them on but they just don't seem to want to grow? Cry
Mine are just showing - maybe yours need a little more time?
The ones I planted last year and left untouched are about 12" tall.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
my garlic is doing well in the tunnel, must weed it over the weekend     
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • toomanytommytoes

SarrissUK Offline
My garlic aren't as big as yours Can, and I am going to need to move some of them, as they're in the middle of where the new big greenhouse will go! Will they be ok to be moved do you think, if I disturb them as little as possible?
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(25-03-2022, 10:06 PM)SarrissUK Wrote: My garlic aren't as big as yours Can, and I am going to need to move some of them, as they're in the middle of where the new big greenhouse will go! Will they be ok to be moved do you think, if I disturb them as little as possible?
I really have no idea SarrissUK, I imagine if you take plenty of the surrounding soil with it and avoid disturbing the roots they should be ok.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • SarrissUK

SarrissUK Offline
Thank you Smile I'll have to give it a go! Some can stay where they are and end up inside the greenhouse, but some will need to move because the base will end up on top of them! lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man

Alisina Offline
Planning to grow garlic, because I heard that it's does not need special care, so I should do it!
[-] The following 2 users Like Alisina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(07-06-2022, 05:56 AM)Alisina Wrote: Planning to grow garlic, because I heard that it's does not need special care, so I should do it!
You should definitely try growing garlic (and everything else)  Big Grin . If it doesn’t work perfectly ( mine never does    Rolleyes ) , you can try again next year  Smile .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Alisina, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have growing garlic for many years but can only say out of 20 years growing, I have only had two decent harvests! I still keep growing it every year though as even small garlic crops are still tasty! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I never bothered with garlic until a couple of years ago but now just bung the cloves in any spare place. The bulbs in the seed merchants are quite expensive but I got some Casablanca from Home Bargains cheaply and it came up OK, also bought a bulb from the supermarket, split it into cloves and planted it. Both lots are growing well. The supermarket ones are smallish because they're in rough ground and I haven't looked after them. So the upshot is, of course you should have a go, what have you got to lose?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Alisina Offline
(07-06-2022, 07:50 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 05:56 AM)Alisina Wrote: Planning to grow garlic, because I heard that it's does not need special care, so I should do it!
You should definitely try growing garlic (and everything else)  Big Grin . If it doesn’t work perfectly ( mine never does    Rolleyes ) , you can try again next year  Smile .
In gardening we have a little amount of attemps but we can always try grwoing something again the next year. This keeps me being more concerned  Shy
[-] The following 2 users Like Alisina's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli