Mandoline
Farendwoman Offline
Treated myself to a mandoline yesterday because I have been wanting one for ages.
Trouble is I can’t remember WHY I wanted it in the first place.
Any suggestions, please, for what I can start doing with it. 
Or is it going to be stuffed in the pantry along with the kitchen blow torch that has never come out of its packaging.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I use mine for fennel
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Very good for slicing fingers, be careful. I've not figured out what a mandoline can do that a food processor can't. I had a cheap one in the cupboard bought in Lidl never used, so it went to the charity shop.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(18-09-2021, 09:39 AM)Hi JJB Wrote: Very good for slicing fingers, be careful.  I've not figured out what a mandoline can do that a food processor can't. I had a cheap one in the cupboard bought in Lidl never used, so it went to the charity shop.
Mine is still in the packaging - so I’ve got 28 days to take it back for a refund. I’m actually wondering what it can do that a good knife can’t. Especially seeing as a recentish birthday present was a half day course on “Knife Skills”.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Please, please, please use the guard - watching them being used unguarded on TV makes me feel quite sick!
I have used one but have never bought one, and as you say, there isn't much that a good sharp knife won't do if used well, although it is slower, and for bulk a good food proc is as good.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
(18-09-2021, 09:38 AM)Admin Wrote: I use mine for fennel
Fennel not for me - but thanks for the suggestion.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its one gadget I've resisted buying! Don't like blood on my veggies, especially when its mine. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Woo - what a fab present! I would love to go on a knife skills course!

I use a food processor to chop or slice - but a mandoline would be much easier to clean if you aren't doing huge amounts. I'm not one for gadgets - always mixed my cakes by hand until the last few years, suddenly whisking a meringue is a lot more work than it used to be Big Grin

Anyway - I love dauphinois potatoes - I don't believe you can't cut as finely with a knife as with a slicer? Lots of apples look much nicer and much quicker to do too. I think I would get a lot of use out of one.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB

Bren Offline
They are scary things  Confused  I know our local charity shop refuses to take them in.   I use a slicer attachment on my Kenwood chef instead I don't think I'd trust myself with a mandolin after seeing what a friend did to their finger ends.

Could you have wanted one to  slice courgettes/cucumbers thin to go in pickles.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Well, going against everyone else, I think they are great! Tongue I got one for my wife who never got round to using it. I took it out the other day and didn't realise all the different cutting blades that came with it, I chose one to make courgette spaghetti and it worked really well. There is a little handle thing that if you use makes it impossible to cut yourself.My next plan is to make sweet potato rice with it. Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, Scarlet