Garden And Gossip Forums
Mandoline - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Kitchen Talk (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: DIY Kitchen (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Mandoline (/showthread.php?tid=1283)

Pages: 1 2

Mandoline - Farendwoman - 18-09-2021

Treated myself to a mandoline yesterday because I have been wanting one for ages.
Trouble is I can’t remember WHY I wanted it in the first place.
Any suggestions, please, for what I can start doing with it. 
Or is it going to be stuffed in the pantry along with the kitchen blow torch that has never come out of its packaging.

RE: Mandoline - Admin - 18-09-2021

I use mine for fennel

RE: Mandoline - JJB - 18-09-2021

Very good for slicing fingers, be careful. I've not figured out what a mandoline can do that a food processor can't. I had a cheap one in the cupboard bought in Lidl never used, so it went to the charity shop.

Farendwoman - Farendwoman - 18-09-2021

(18-09-2021, 09:39 AM)Hi JJB Wrote: Very good for slicing fingers, be careful.  I've not figured out what a mandoline can do that a food processor can't. I had a cheap one in the cupboard bought in Lidl never used, so it went to the charity shop.
Mine is still in the packaging - so I’ve got 28 days to take it back for a refund. I’m actually wondering what it can do that a good knife can’t. Especially seeing as a recentish birthday present was a half day course on “Knife Skills”.

RE: Mandoline - PyreneesPlot - 18-09-2021

Please, please, please use the guard - watching them being used unguarded on TV makes me feel quite sick!
I have used one but have never bought one, and as you say, there isn't much that a good sharp knife won't do if used well, although it is slower, and for bulk a good food proc is as good.

RE: Mandoline - Farendwoman - 18-09-2021

(18-09-2021, 09:38 AM)Admin Wrote: I use mine for fennel
Fennel not for me - but thanks for the suggestion.

RE: Mandoline - Veggie - 18-09-2021

Its one gadget I've resisted buying! Don't like blood on my veggies, especially when its mine. Wink

RE: Mandoline - Scarlet - 18-09-2021

Woo - what a fab present! I would love to go on a knife skills course!

I use a food processor to chop or slice - but a mandoline would be much easier to clean if you aren't doing huge amounts. I'm not one for gadgets - always mixed my cakes by hand until the last few years, suddenly whisking a meringue is a lot more work than it used to be Big Grin

Anyway - I love dauphinois potatoes - I don't believe you can't cut as finely with a knife as with a slicer? Lots of apples look much nicer and much quicker to do too. I think I would get a lot of use out of one.

RE: Mandoline - Bren - 18-09-2021

They are scary things  Confused  I know our local charity shop refuses to take them in.   I use a slicer attachment on my Kenwood chef instead I don't think I'd trust myself with a mandolin after seeing what a friend did to their finger ends.

Could you have wanted one to  slice courgettes/cucumbers thin to go in pickles.

RE: Mandoline - Vinny - 18-09-2021

Well, going against everyone else, I think they are great! Tongue I got one for my wife who never got round to using it. I took it out the other day and didn't realise all the different cutting blades that came with it, I chose one to make courgette spaghetti and it worked really well. There is a little handle thing that if you use makes it impossible to cut yourself.My next plan is to make sweet potato rice with it. Cool