Putting onus on vegetables
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Mcdood and Moth, I don't see why politics can't be discussed, as long as we're all respectful to each other and understand everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it isn't abusive. Mods might think different though.

As far as harking back to 50s and 60s. I think that women were unlikely to work and were expected to provide meals from scratch on whatever budget was available. To do so was a matter of pride. Bought cake on the table was inferior to homemade and a shameful thing Smile The easy option of a ready meal wasn't there even if we wanted it. Mum would had died a death of shame if she served the vicar bought cake with his tea! Plus us older generation women all probably had home economics classes which helped. Changing attitudes, changing times.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

mcdood Offline
Feelings usually run too strong on politics and politicians. I know my feelings do, so I'll be staying out of it, despite nearly starting it Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Very wise. Smart thinking.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Surely its a start?
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I would be interested in hearing what people think of the privatisation of the NHS. The Tories are all for it and Labour don't seem to mind at all. All governments from Thatcher onwards have been increasing the involvement of private companies in the NHS, particularly Blair. When I needed a hernia operation a couple of years ago, the queues in NHS hospitals were about 12months then but as it would be a straight forward procedure, I was suitable for a local private hospital. I wasn't happy but a 12 month wait seemed a long time. This was my second one. In 2006, when I needed one. the wait was about 6 weeks.

Now, they have run the NHS down cutting beds and staff so more and more will be done by private companies (for the good of the NHS of course). I've no idea why but the politicians, most of them, seem to want it to be more like the USA system. They are all very rich people but seem to want to make themselves more money at the expense of the British health system. Very little, if anything of what they are doing is reported in the media.

https://voxpoliticalonline.com/2021/07/0...-not-less/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I don't know enough about it to have an opinion so, for once, I'll keep quiet.
Please don't get into a political argument though because we're not here for that.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Bit too heavy for me.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(15-07-2021, 09:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: I don't know enough about it to have an opinion so, for once, I'll keep quiet.
Please don't get into a political argument though because we're not here for that.

That is my main point, I don't want a political argument but am concerned when a government is doing something that the vast majority of the population doesn't appear to know about.

We do not live in a democracy if the government of the day is doing stuff that the people would not want and that the media keeps us in ignorance of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
This is a gardening forum - there are other places to talk about the government.
Can we get back to gardening now?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I have no interest in British politics, but I did find the earlier conversations about cooking, ready made meals very interesting. I think it’s a shame that all primary school kids are not taught the basics of cooking in school. When I was in primary school mid to late 60’s and early 70’s. I went to a Boys school and the girls went to a girls school run by nuns who actually taught the girls the basics in cooking, my wife was missing those days. Later when we moved to secondary school the girls did Domestic Science which included cooking and they learned how to make soda bread, scones, buns, casseroles etc. All that is gone now and that why you have people who can’t peel a potato and don’t even know you can cook it with the skin still on. It’s like kids don’t know where fruit and veg come from they think it’s the supermarket not the farm , milk comes from a carton they never seen a cow milked by hand or tasted unpasteurised unhomogenised milk, I say the entire education system in this country and in the UK needs to be changed to teach kids about cooking food from an early age and this gets them eating fruit and veg from an early age. Enough ranting Wink
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 4 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie, Vinny