Geordie living 'ower the watter'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57838103

Just as it should be.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
A fine sentiment, but if we can't lower excessive smoking and drinking, which are both a huge detriment to the health and purse of the nation, by tax, what makes anyone think taxing salt and sugar will work. What's the point in 'prescribing' a veg to someone who has no idea what to do with it?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I agree with JJB.
That bar chart puts Ready meals at Zero - I'd move them way up the scale as so many Ready meals are junk food, stuffed with fat sugar and salt just to make them taste palatable.
Until "people" are weaned off ready meals and takeaways and given the motivation and skills to return to eating basic foods cooked fresh, nothing will change.
Incidentally, that photo of Henry Dimbledy isn't very inspiring. he looks like he's tucked away a few extra calories in his time.Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

mcdood Offline
I Strayed into politics - then stopped Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I was going to reply, then re-read McDood's post. And stopped too.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 4 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, mcdood, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A friend has a neighbour with young kids who is given veg and fruit parcels by a community support group. Most of the parcel is passed on to the friend as the neighbour doesn't know what to do with them. Peeling a carrot is a step too far for some.
Sorry to keep harking back to the good old days, before frozen meals were invented and the only takeaway was fish and chips but, when money is tight, you go back to basics - not cheap junk food. If you look at photos of people in the 1940s/50s even 60s - they weren't the size they are now. Taxing food isn't the answer!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
Meanwhile Coca Cola, Heineken and Just Eat were three very prominent sponsors of the Euro 2020 tournament. Dodgy
[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
The quote from the food and drink Federation: "Obesity and food is very much about poverty, and we need measures to tackle poverty and to help people to make choices they need to make."
A lot of people in poverty don't have the money, facilities, time or knowledge to cook properly.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet

Bren Offline
I think a lot of problems come about because people want things instantly they don’t want to cook a dinner or a casserole it’s easier to pop a ready meal in the microwave.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lots of the high fat/salt/sugar foods are cheap.
I think education would help here - not many people have a clue what they eat/sugar content/carb value etc.

As a mum of two Type 1 diabetics I get really annoyed at the sugar thing. It costs a fortune in sweets etc....the lucozade that they used for sports drinks suddenly had the sugar removed and the price shot up.
Both my boys cook from scratch.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny