Good Morning, Afternoon, Evening, Night!
Bren Offline
#1,101
Morning I've not been far only to the GH and gate to collect milk. Its times like this when I'm glad we still have a milkman. There's only a couple of inches of snow its not much but its slippy might have to get the shovel and clear a path between the house GH and log store./side gate.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
#1,102
(29-11-2021, 11:33 AM)Bren Wrote: Morning I've not been far only to the GH and gate to collect milk.  Its times like this when I'm glad we still have a milkman.  There's only  a couple of inches of snow its not much but its slippy might have to get the shovel and clear a path between the house GH and log store./side gate.
Morning all

Do milkmen still deliver pints of milk in bottles Bren? I remember in cold weather the milk expanding when frosen enabling the birds to peck at the foil top and get some! Smile I would like to get a milk delivery to help local enterprise but only go through about 2 pints a week which wouldn't be worth there while to deliver methinks?
Snow has gone anyway but it still feels parky. No plans for today but I have various options. Work on campervan,work on garden, weeding, work at allotment weeding, shopping, do a bit more tiling in bathroom (been on with that for about 3 years!) Cry Decisions. decisions! Rolleyes

TTFN
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Jay, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,103
The milk still gets delivered round here, sometimes even in bottles, but it's not a local business. It's run by Milk & More an offshoot of Müller and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired, e.g. missed or wrong deliveries which don't get corrected only refunded, so you could be stuck without milk. We have 20 pints a week from the supermarket.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
#1,104
Its still glass bottles Vinny we only have 5 pints a week now but hes still happy to deliver he also calls at the neighbours either side. MrB solved the bird pecking problem by cutting out a square in the side gate with a lidded box fixed on our side not had problem since the box also shades the milk so its been handy.

No real plans here either just lots of things that I ought to do.

Edited to say ours is local, our first milk man retired after delivering for 35 years luckily someone took over his round that was 5 year ago.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,105
Good morning Gan'G. Haven't seen any snow here............yet! Don't want to tempt fate though.
There's a local glass bottle milkman here - but I don't drink milk - not since school days and the incident with a bottle of sour milk. The smell put me off milk for life.
When I lived in Tasmania, the milkman would deliver glass bottled milk to all the nearby houses, including ours early morning and we found that the bottle tops were being broken and a few inches of milk would be missing. Being Poms, we had no idea whether there was some local wildlife that would do this (imaging a giant Blue tit with a beak like a woodpecker) - so we asked the neighbours and they didn't know of anything but, how strange, the same thing was happening to theirs. The more neighbours we asked, the more cases we found.
After a few weeks, we heard that a big brown dog had been spotted, following the milkman on his rounds. The dog would nip into the house that the milkman had just visited and scratch the foil top enough to get its tongue in and slurp up the milk. Then, it would move on to the next house and do the same.
Can you guess whose dog it was?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,106
EmbarrassmentSmile Full marks for ingenuity though. I thought you were going to say it was a kookaburra laughing all the way to the dairy.

Pray tell - what we're you doing in Tasmania?........you devil Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,107
I was a £10 Pom and the Dog was about to be PTS as nobody wanted to rehome a big dog - so we had him. Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
#1,108
Morning All Smile

Weather for the week ahead looks pretty dire, so need to think of things to do.

Today will be feeding the allotment cat and popping to the local butchers to order a few bits for the fast approaching event towards the end of the year.

I am like a kid in a sweet shop when I visit. I shall order a nice haunch of venison for the new year...everything else will be impulse purchased.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 6 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,109
Save money Boss have sausages Big Grin

Weather dreary here too, next door elderlies have ordered the installation of an air source heat pump (taking out a perfectly good gas boiler system). They like me are not early risers but by 8.30 there were three vans filling up their driveway, district nurse is due today too, heaven knows where she's going to park. Rather them than me. I think this might be today's entertainment, plus eagerly anticipating V's seed parcel.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 6 users Like JJB's post:
  • Admin, Broadway, Jay, Mark_Riga, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,110
(06-12-2021, 09:42 AM)Admin Wrote: Morning All Smile

Weather for the week ahead looks pretty dire, so need to think of things to do.

Today will be feeding the allotment cat and popping to the local butchers to order a few bits for the fast approaching event towards the end of the year.

I am like a kid in a sweet shop when I visit. I shall order a nice haunch of venison for the new year...everything else will be impulse purchased.
You're so kind, Admin - buying a haunch of venison for the allotment cat. Big Grin

Wet and dreary here. On the bright side, its brought the long tailed tits to the bird feeders outside the kitchen window - they always cheer me up. Smile
For those of you, like JJB, who are waiting for the postie, there are 30+ packets of seed in your envelopes. Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Jay, JJB, Vinny