Freecycle and similar websites
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday's IN was a weighing scales that can be linked to an app (app-arently) and records all sorts of things like bodyfat-BMI etc, etc. I only wanted it for measuring bucket loads of apples that are too heavy for the kitchen scales! My real weighing scales came from an antique shop in mid-Wales - they're the old fashioned ones that they used to have in chemists' shops with a collecting box for charity (RNLI?) on the end for your penny. Made before kilograms were invented. Big Grin

Tonight's IN is an OLIO collection - a Butternut squash topped Pizza, cooked chicken breasts, roast potatoes in goose fat and in beef fat, sausages, a Thai Cod curry??, steak and ale pie, cocktail sausages for the dogs, fruit pots and some mint and coriander growing herbs. There was more but I can't remember it all. Should feed us for a few more days.
OUT went 20 packets of Pork Scratchings!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
No INs but OUT went 2 desk lamps for a Ukrainian family who have just been given a flat. The son needed a desk lamp.
  • Bren, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
An OLIO IN this morning - 3 loaves, a baguette, cheesy bread rolls, 3 boxes of Lemon curd muffins (gorgeous), pancakes and 6 Avocadoes.
I was offered a real Christmas tree, growing in a wicker basket, ready decorated and with lights and I nearly weakened and brought it home - but I didn't! Not sure what looks worse - a house with no Christmas decorations or one that has a tree and nothing else!
  • JJB, Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(22-12-2022, 04:19 PM)Veggie Wrote: An OLIO IN this morning - 3 loaves, a baguette, cheesy bread rolls, 3 boxes of Lemon curd muffins (gorgeous), pancakes and 6 Avocadoes.
I was offered a real Christmas tree, growing in a wicker basket, ready decorated and with lights and I nearly weakened and brought it home - but I didn't! Not sure what looks worse - a house with no Christmas decorations or one that has a tree and nothing else!
No cuddly toys then? Tongue Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

GardenGrower22 Offline
I found facebook marketplace and facebook selling sites are great for freebies! When we moved house, we managed to pick lots of bits up - a sofa, chest of drawers, bedside unit and the best of all was a leaf blower/sucker. I also think marketplace is a great way to get rid of unwanted items too!
[-] The following 4 users Like GardenGrower22's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another OLIO IN this morning - these are leftovers from yesterday's collections. I'm trying to let people know that I'm happy to collect all the leftovers from the night before (usually veg/fruit and bread). They're not allowed to give away anything that past its "Use By" date unless its for animals (like dogs and chickens Wink). Veg/fruit/bread are usually Best Before so they can be given away any day.
IN came 2 bags of mixed veg (sprouts, broc, carrots), spinach, rocket, a box of mini sausage rolls, and, from the freezer, a giant pizza and 4 boxes of horses' doofers - like hamhock and cheese muffins, prawn roses, truffle and cheese summat. All very fancy combinations that will probably taste of very little but look good on a platter while you sip your aperitif.
I knew this OLIO lady had twin boys aged about 5/6 but today a 3rd one appeared - all identical - and all bringing me a toy to admire! Bet they'll be a handful on the 25th!
Then I went to see a lady with a horse and a collapsed bathroom ceiling - there's no connection between these two items! She's having a clearout prior to moving and this collection was unwanted toiletries that she'd been given in previous years - mostly unopened in their original packaging - gifts from her mother in law! She said " Look at me - do I look like a Strawberry Bubble Bath sort of girl" and I had to agree, she didn't - but neither do I. A lot of the stuff will be an OUT after Christmas.
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It may be Boxing Day, but its doesn't stop the Moneyless Chicken from hunting down food. Big Grin
IN came a big bag of cupboard clear-out food - including pasta sauce x 3, Mandarin orange segments x5, Tinned custard x 2, Rice Pudding x2
Tinned soup x 5, 2 boxes of teabags, UHT milk x 3, Strawberry jam x2, Ryvita, Quinoa and some other bits and pieces.
Second collection was 5 bags of bananas and 3 sliced loaves.

OUT went some bananas, a loaf and the teabags to my brother.
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just back from a late night OLIO collection - rather a lot of duplicated items but most will get eaten, either by humans, dogs, chicken or fish.
3 Iceberg lettuce.
6 bunches of spring onions (more to plant Wink)
4 packs of small pork and pickle pies
4 tubs of Hummus
2 tubs of sour cream & chives
a small wholemeal loaf
6 packs of bread rolls
a Vegetable medley thing.
punnet of cherry tomatoes.

If only the weather was better, it would make a perfect picnic. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
IN today came a deep fat fryer, very clean but maybe a bit small for the usual size batch of chips. Good as a spare though.
Also IN 2 jars of preserved ginger in syrup (love this) and 5 tins of fruit - peaches, pineapple and mandarin oranges.
Also IN a Cookery Book called "Cupboard Love" that has recipes for all the stuff you have in your cupboard. I need this. Big Grin

No OUTs but I did pair up the lady with 2 crates of Iceberg lettuce and bag of bread rolls with another lady who has all sorts of livestock. Not sure what but I know she has chickens, ducks, geese and horses. She seemed grateful for all the free animal food and the other lady is glad that its being saved from the bin. Result!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
IN came a special treat - a huge box of Amaretti - identical to this https://www.onbuy.com/gb/amaretti-del-ch...0bbf11de97
I'd forgotten how nice they are! There's an awful lot of wrapping on each one though!
Also IN came 2 bags of clothes - most of which will be reoffered ASAP. I immediately discard anything white, flowery, frilly or sparkly, shorts, skirts and dresses. In fact, the only things I try on are jeans, Tshirts and fleeces. Quite a few pairs of jeans in the bag so they stand a chance of staying!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Bren