Freecycle and similar websites
Mikey Offline
From memory there’s an Aga place Gloucester way V that buy and sell aga and rayburns they come and dismantle then recondition before selling on. No idea what they go for but know it’s 4-500 to decommission them. I think it was something like country cookers, I came across them a few times when I was working in Caerleon early 00’s as we had a working aga heating the showroom.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Mikey.SmileThere area few dealers on the 'net. One day, I'll actually do something!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't use Freecycle or similar sites. I know I should but prefer the direct approach! Rolleyes

Most of my freebies come from forays when I am walking the dog. My Gran always used to say "Shy bairns get nowt" as she pressed a half crown into my mitt! Smile
I spotted a guy building an extension so asked him if I could have the old bricks he had taken out, He agreed, so after a few wheelbarrow loads  I managed to scrounge 100 bricks which have been utilised to build my front steps to house.
I then realised I needed hardcore and spotted a pile at the side of a neighbours house. The neighbour was walking her half a dozen miniature Collies (which she takes to shows) when I asked her if the pile of broken bricks at the side of her house was going begging?
She said I was welcome to them and would be doing her a favour getting rid of them. I duly wheelbarrowed these half a dozen loads home (thankfully down hill) and they brought the hardcore up to within one foot of where I wanted.

Guess where the rest of the topping stones came from? Finally figured a way to get rid of some stones from the allotment. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
A pile of flower pots and 2 Courgette plants taken today and I gained some strawberry plants in exchange.Smile
The new hose came for the Dyson Animal cleaner collected a few days ago - now fitted and operational. I hate vacuuming as the cleaners always seem to big and unwieldy for me - but this one is really cute. I almost enjoyed using it and its lots more efficient than the other 3 vacuums here!! There's nearly enough for one in every room.Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

Admin Offline
The Boss
I just got shot off 80 paving slabs from the patio, I said they wouldn't be ready until I had lifted them but the guy and his mate did that for me....result
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 7 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've just been down the road to pick up a dozen gardening and wildlife books - only 2 of which I already had. I'll put those back up for collection for someone else to enjoy.Smile
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, Can the Man, Mikey, Scarlet, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-05-2021, 09:47 AM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Mikey.SmileThere area few dealers on the 'net. One day, I'll actually do something!!
I had several quotes for taking out and removal all around £500. I didn't want to pay to get rid of it - if my kitchen had been a little bigger I would have kept it. I loved it. But the kitchen is my "living space" I don't use the rest of the house really and I wanted a somewhere to sit for a coffee and a dining table and chairs. 

The ones that took it out was a Father and son, they were quick, I had all the vermiculite from inside, they travelled from Somerset - they may happily come to you? They go all over the country. If you want their contact number let me know.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(25-05-2021, 06:58 PM)Admin Wrote: I just got shot off 80 paving slabs from the patio, I said they wouldn't be ready until I had lifted them but the guy and his mate did that for me....result
....and I would have come for those! So expensive to buy. Perhaps I should start trawling free sites. 

The patio slabs look more expensive than my kitchen tiles!!
  • Can the Man, Mikey, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(26-05-2021, 09:51 AM)Scarlet Wrote:
(25-05-2021, 09:47 AM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Mikey.SmileThere area few dealers on the 'net. One day, I'll actually do something!!
I had several quotes for taking out and removal all around £500. I didn't want to pay to get rid of it - if my kitchen had been a little bigger I would have kept it. I loved it. But the kitchen is my "living space" I don't use the rest of the house really and I wanted a somewhere to sit for a coffee and a dining table and chairs. 

The ones that took it out was a Father and son, they were quick, I had all the vermiculite from inside, they travelled from Somerset - they may happily come to you? They go all over the country. If you want their contact number let me know.
If you have their names, I'll keep it somewhere safe - but they're not having it for £50!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-05-2021, 10:39 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(26-05-2021, 09:51 AM)Scarlet Wrote:

If you have their names, I'll keep it somewhere safe - but they're not having it for £50!!!
To be fair, mine was an "always on" one. I worked out the gas consumption about 15 years ago and was a little alarmed. Gas prices have gone up hugely since then so we were paying out a lot on bills - last summer it was hardly used as we often eat mostly cold food, I maybe chucked a few spuds in for jackets. With just two of us my cooking needs have changed so we felt the expense of running it 24/7 wasn't worth it.....husband couldn't get rid of it quick enough. I'm still a little lost without it.
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie