Leeks
Broadway Offline
(13-11-2021, 02:29 PM)Veggie Wrote: Today's news - I didn't "shave" or "cut with scissors" the heads of 2 leeks - I nipped off all the seeds with my finger nails and scattered the seeds in a foot square "bed" alongside the mother leeks. Let's see if I can propagate a single leek in 3 different ways - the 3rd being leaving it in the ground to send up side leeks.
Interesting topic I didn't fully understand so watched a couple of YT vids
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(13-11-2021, 02:29 PM)Veggie Wrote: Today's news - I didn't "shave" or "cut with scissors" the heads of 2 leeks - I nipped off all the seeds with my finger nails and scattered the seeds in a foot square "bed" alongside the mother leeks. Let's see if I can propagate a single leek in 3 different ways - the 3rd being leaving it in the ground to send up side leeks.
The usually two 'kingpods' that form at the base of the leek will grow quickly but very quickly run to seed. These too can be propagated in a similar way. Its the leeks third line of defense for making sure its strain survives! The leek grass from these two seedheads will have exactly the same qualities as the parent leek.
You can only propoagate vegetatively for a couple of yeara as it is similar to cloning and you start to hit reversion issues! Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
"Shaving leeks will probably end up in my "Life's too short" file. The actual nipping off is quick and easy but the thought of growing on hundreds of mini leeklings may be too much for me. I'll see if it works first before I decide. Smile
Buried stumps work so that may be as much as I can cope with!!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(14-11-2021, 05:37 PM)Veggie Wrote: "Shaving leeks will probably end up in my "Life's too short" file. The actual nipping off is quick and easy but the thought of growing on hundreds of mini leeklings may be too much for me. I'll see if it works first before I decide. Smile
Buried stumps work so that may be as much as I can cope with!!
You need to be a fully paid up member of the leek shavers guild to do it anyway Veggie! Tongue
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Do these Leek Shavers have funny handshakes, Vinny? Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
(14-11-2021, 10:22 PM)Veggie Wrote: Do these Leek Shavers have funny handshakes, Vinny? Big Grin
No,green fingers and thumbs and just one rolled up trouser leg, which is a bit awkward when wearing shorts! Cry Years ago I was iinnaugerated into the Boilermakers Union as an apprentice (Mackers for short) I shouldn't really divulge secrets, but at innaugaration you had to put your thumb in your top button hole of your jacket! I nearly got kicked out for asking them whether they were extracting urine! Big Grin

I suppose some of these traditions were a necessity in the past.
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Meanwhile...........I've just nipped another leek head and pondered what would happen if you planted the head - would hundreds of leeklings emerge?
What do you think, O Worshipful Master Leek Shaver?

Vinny Offline
(15-11-2021, 01:59 PM)Veggie Wrote: Meanwhile...........I've just nipped another leek head and pondered what would happen if you planted the head - would hundreds of leeklings emerge?
What do you think, O Worshipful Master Leek Shaver?
Dunno, but if you have plenty of seedheads you could maybe create a 'Leek lawn'  Big Grin Interesting experiment, let me know how you get on.
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
OK, I'll bury one tomorrow and see what happens. May lean it over into a pot, leaving the mother leek in the ground - and also cut a head and plant it detached.
May the strongest leek win!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Broadway Offline
Afternoon folks,

Probably a stupid questionSmile but does the diameter of a leek depend on the size of the hole you plant them in?
Regards..........Danny Smile