Leeks
Broadway Offline
Morning Folks

After starting off well my leeks don't seem to have gained any size in about a month, shall I transplant them into a RB and see how they get on?

Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet

Spec Offline
Not a leek expert but those look fine to me, if they are outside and hardened off you could plant them in a raised bed, if your weather is similar to what I am getting its quite possibly the cold that is holding them back, so plant and cover with some fleece, I have onions growing some covered others open and the covered ones are looking bigger which I think is due to the protection from the cold
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

Broadway Offline
(06-05-2021, 10:08 AM)Spec Wrote: Not a leek expert but those look fine to me, if they are outside and hardened off you could plant them in a raised bed, if your weather is similar to what I am getting its quite possibly the cold that is holding them back, so plant and cover with some fleece, I have onions growing some covered others open and the covered ones are looking bigger which I think is due to the protection from the cold
Cheers Spec

They've been outside for as long as I can remember!
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Admin Offline
The Boss
I think they are too small still, if anything I would prick them out and put in a lot larger pot. Something 10 to 12 inches deep.

I will post a pic of some of mine which wont go out till June
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!

Admin Offline
The Boss

I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Broadway Offline
Cheers bossSmile

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Mine are rarely bigger than a darning needle when they go out into the ground and are always fine, easily wrist size by Christmas (even though they often disappear from sight into the planting hole).
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Spec

Spec Offline
(06-05-2021, 05:00 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Mine are rarely bigger than a darning needle when they go out into the ground and are always fine, easily wrist size by Christmas (even though they often disappear from sight into the planting hole).

Thats why I thought if outside and hardened off they would be OK going in the ground, but must admit, I like the size that the boss has, definitely a lot warmer where he isBig Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Admin, PyreneesPlot

toomanytommytoes Offline
Mine went in the ground last month when they were about 2.5 inches tall. They're doing alright, about doubled in length. First time growing leeks here, what is the reason for a lot of people letting them grow so tall before planting?
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Broadway Offline
(06-05-2021, 05:00 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: Mine are rarely bigger than a darning needle when they go out into the ground and are always fine, easily wrist size by Christmas (even though they often disappear from sight into the planting hole).
Hi PP

Is the planting hole massive in diameter compared to the leeks?