Tomato Craigella
JJB Online
Moonraker
I sowed 4 seeds of Craigella, 3 of which germinated, I think either that or I've lost the 4th.  Two were potato leaved the other normal leaved.  Looking on the web it says nothing about Craigella being potato leaved so I'm wondering what I have growing.  Anyone else growing these?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Are these saved seeds, JJB? I think I have some that came from a swap somewhere.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Online
Moonraker
(02-05-2021, 05:37 PM)Veggie Wrote: Are these saved seeds, JJB? I think I have some that came from a swap somewhere.

No not saved, they're from a freebie magazine pkt.  T&M I think, say no more Confused  I'll have to hunt out the pkt to see if it says anything,  but from memory I believe they're supposed to be normal leaved.  So not only do I have and 'interesting tomato, I have an unknown one too.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I am growing Craigella as well this year as I usually grow Ailsa Craig and this is supposed to be an improved version of this old favourite supposedly less susceptible to greenback.

Not potato leaved as far as I can see.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Online
Moonraker
(02-05-2021, 06:20 PM)Vinny Wrote: I am growing Craigella as well this year as I usually grow Ailsa Craig and this is supposed to be an improved version of this old favourite supposedly less susceptible to greenback.

Not potato leaved as far as I can see.

Oh dear, I'll have to double check to make sure I'm not mistaken by the leaves, and then take a flyer as to what it produces. I shall treat the single normal leaved one with care as opposed to derision.    Lends a little frisson to the process Smile  Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Thanks for the help folks.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Be aware that potato-leaved toms can cross with regular leaved ones - if you're thinking of saving any seeds. That's why I wondered whether your Craigella were saved by someone.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Online
Moonraker
Thanks, I'll bear it in mind when placing them
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(02-05-2021, 07:01 PM)JJB Wrote:   Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Did you get any results with your Craigella?
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

JJB Online
Moonraker
(19-11-2021, 09:48 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 07:01 PM)JJB Wrote:   Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Still prone to greenback I'm afraid,  probably because I left the shading off at some times. Nice enough tom, but not spectacular taste,  good yeild and looked good on the plate an average uniform sized salad tomato. May give it another try.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(20-11-2021, 12:02 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-11-2021, 09:48 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:

Still prone to greenback I'm afraid,  probably because I left the shading off at some times. Nice enough tom, but not spectacular taste,  good yeild and looked good on the plate an average uniform sized salad tomato. May give it another try.

Have you ever tried alicante? They are similar, high yielding and don't really suffer from greenback. I tend to use them mainly for cooking with and use gardeners delight and galina with salads.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB