Garden And Gossip Forums
Tomato Craigella - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: From seed to plant (edibles) (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Everything Tomato (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Tomato Craigella (/showthread.php?tid=1059)

Pages: 1 2

Tomato Craigella - JJB - 02-05-2021

I sowed 4 seeds of Craigella, 3 of which germinated, I think either that or I've lost the 4th.  Two were potato leaved the other normal leaved.  Looking on the web it says nothing about Craigella being potato leaved so I'm wondering what I have growing.  Anyone else growing these?

RE: Tomato Craigella - Veggie - 02-05-2021

Are these saved seeds, JJB? I think I have some that came from a swap somewhere.

RE: Tomato Craigella - JJB - 02-05-2021

(02-05-2021, 05:37 PM)Veggie Wrote: Are these saved seeds, JJB? I think I have some that came from a swap somewhere.

No not saved, they're from a freebie magazine pkt.  T&M I think, say no more Confused  I'll have to hunt out the pkt to see if it says anything,  but from memory I believe they're supposed to be normal leaved.  So not only do I have and 'interesting tomato, I have an unknown one too.

RE: Tomato Craigella - Vinny - 02-05-2021

I am growing Craigella as well this year as I usually grow Ailsa Craig and this is supposed to be an improved version of this old favourite supposedly less susceptible to greenback.

Not potato leaved as far as I can see.

(02-05-2021, 06:20 PM)Vinny Wrote: I am growing Craigella as well this year as I usually grow Ailsa Craig and this is supposed to be an improved version of this old favourite supposedly less susceptible to greenback.

Not potato leaved as far as I can see.

Oh dear, I'll have to double check to make sure I'm not mistaken by the leaves, and then take a flyer as to what it produces. I shall treat the single normal leaved one with care as opposed to derision.    Lends a little frisson to the process Smile  Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Thanks for the help folks.

RE: Tomato Craigella - Veggie - 02-05-2021

Be aware that potato-leaved toms can cross with regular leaved ones - if you're thinking of saving any seeds. That's why I wondered whether your Craigella were saved by someone.

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind when placing them

RE: Tomato Craigella - Mark_Riga - 19-11-2021

(02-05-2021, 07:01 PM)JJB Wrote:   Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Did you get any results with your Craigella?

RE: Tomato Craigella - JJB - 20-11-2021

(19-11-2021, 09:48 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:
(02-05-2021, 07:01 PM)JJB Wrote:   Watch this space later on in the year for results.

Still prone to greenback I'm afraid,  probably because I left the shading off at some times. Nice enough tom, but not spectacular taste,  good yeild and looked good on the plate an average uniform sized salad tomato. May give it another try.

RE: Tomato Craigella - Mark_Riga - 21-11-2021

(20-11-2021, 12:02 AM)JJB Wrote:
(19-11-2021, 09:48 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote:

Still prone to greenback I'm afraid,  probably because I left the shading off at some times. Nice enough tom, but not spectacular taste,  good yeild and looked good on the plate an average uniform sized salad tomato. May give it another try.

Have you ever tried alicante? They are similar, high yielding and don't really suffer from greenback. I tend to use them mainly for cooking with and use gardeners delight and galina with salads.