2021 - Picked my first.............
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-07-2021, 04:10 PM)Bren Wrote: First bucket of Telephones peas
Why are they called telephone peas?  Are they special?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Bren Offline
Not sure I was given 10 seeds back in 2012 and have grown them ever since, they're a tall pea growing as tall as I can reach. I did query the name because here in the UK theres a variety called Alderman that to me look the same.

Whoops just spotted I added a 's' to the end of telephone.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Picked my first GH tomato, a single sungold. It won't feed the 5000 and I'm debating whether I'm going to share or not ........probably not Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, mcdood

mcdood Offline
(10-07-2021, 02:03 PM)JJB Wrote: Picked my first GH tomato, a single sungold.  It won't feed the 5000 and I'm debating whether I'm going to share or not ........probably not Big Grin

Same, mine was a Latah, went straight from plant to mouth, zero chance of sharing Smile

Nothing else looks anywhere near ripe yet, not great this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like mcdood's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(08-07-2021, 07:28 PM)Bren Wrote: Not sure I was given 10 seeds back in 2012 and have grown them ever since, they're a tall pea growing as tall as I can reach.  I did query the name because here in the UK theres a variety called Alderman that to me look the same.

Whoops just spotted I added a 's' to the end of telephone.
From Real Seeds :-

Telephone Pea (very tall)

A well known and much loved tall pea - six foot plus - that we recommend as an early-maincrop pea. It hasn't really changed from the description of 'Carter's Telephone Pea' in Vilmorin's famous book of 1885 on vegetable gardening.
It has heavy yields of large pods with sweet, non-starchy peas inside. We find that the pods always swell up a bit before the peas fill out, so don't be fooled into picking too early! We find it's best to check a couple of pods first before picking lots - not too much of a hardship!
Wrinkled seed, stays sweet longer in pods - but don't sow in cold wet conditions.
Medium tall vine, use as maincrop.
[Image: gr2.gif]about 100 seed £2.69
Stock: 100+

(And yes, we checked: the word 'telephon' (without the e) was in use by 1854 and the first patent was in 1876 by Bell, although his work was preceded by several other people. The real question is, of course, why should Carter want to call his pea after an effect first noticed when people were given electro-shock therapy in 1846? (their screams were transmitted over the wires they were holding). . . . They are a very good pea nonetheless!

"I've been gardening for years and years and the variety of tall pea Telephone is fabulous! It beats Alderman hands down. I took them down into the pub and put them on the counter and showed them round. What do you think of that then? I asked them, everyone thought they were fantastic." - P Woodcock
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Thanks Veggie, it seems I'm not the only one wondering where the name came from.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
BTW I did share, I'll gain my reward somewhen (when he's least expecting it). Although I swear that they taste better if you've sown the seed, nurtured the plants and endlessly cared and worried over them, rather than just having it plonked in your mouth with the comment 'looked what I've just picked'Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, mcdood, Veggie

Bren Offline
Thanks for the info Veggie, I know they have a long season I keep picking and that produces more flowers a bit like how sweet peas are I suppose.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Finally first courgette and first picking of peas - 750g of pods.Edit: 260g nett.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Bren, JJB, mcdood, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
First turnips and quite possibly the last as they're under attack from brassica bugs!
First trombos yesterday.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie