2021 - Picked my first.............
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-08-2021, 02:47 PM)Veggie Wrote: ^^^ I don't think they're anything special, JJB - apart from the colour.

Another disappointment,  proving you can't believe the description on seeds.  I'm going to try the 'Jessy' ones next year, I believe you said they were nice and sweet.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
All the peaches (7) - not ripe but all the rest developed brown rot on the tree. I expect these'll will just get it in the tray, instead! Grown from a stone found in the shooting in the compost heap, the flesh is dark yellow, rich and really tasty and the tree doesn't get much leaf curl despite being right out in the open. Last year it fruited for the first time.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
First aubergine yesterday - long purple.

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Picked the first two sweetcorn cobs yesterday, very tasty they were too. Two weeks later than last year. They could do with some sun to chivvy up ripening though.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-08-2021, 09:59 AM)JJB Wrote:
(14-08-2021, 02:47 PM)Veggie Wrote: ^^^ I don't think they're anything special, JJB - apart from the colour.

Another disappointment,  proving you can't believe the description on seeds.  I'm going to try the 'Jessy' ones next year, I believe you said they were nice and sweet.
They're dwarf and round podded. Not sue what you mean by "sweet" when it comes to pods?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-08-2021, 01:52 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: All the peaches (7) - not ripe but all the rest developed brown rot on the tree. I expect these'll will just get it in the tray, instead! Grown from a stone found in the shooting in the compost heap, the flesh is dark yellow, rich and really tasty and the tree doesn't get much leaf curl despite being right out in the open. Last year it fruited for the first time.
Peaches and plums have been affected by brown rot here too. So disappointing.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(18-08-2021, 11:12 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(15-08-2021, 01:52 PM)PyreneesPlot Wrote: All the peaches (7) - not ripe but all the rest developed brown rot on the tree. I expect these'll will just get it in the tray, instead! Grown from a stone found in the shooting in the compost heap, the flesh is dark yellow, rich and really tasty and the tree doesn't get much leaf curl despite being right out in the open. Last year it fruited for the first time.
Peaches and plums have been affected by brown rot here too. So disappointing.

We had a frost that got most of our plum blossom this year - I've picked two - but luckily our neighbour's F-in-L has an orchard a few km away full of mirabelles and pruneaux d'agen that are no longer harvested commercially so we are well supplied!

And the peaches are indeed rotting in the tray, but the good bits are really good.

[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(18-08-2021, 11:10 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(15-08-2021, 09:59 AM)JJB Wrote:

They're dwarf and round podded. Not sue what you mean by "sweet" when it comes to pods?t

Well, I grew some ordinary peas, Hurst Green Shaft, and the peas had the traditional sweetish taste and thought  I might get that taste with a mangetout, but also realise it's the pea that tastes nice not the pod so logically as  the pea is nascent in mangetout it would probably  lack the sweetness of a full grown pea.  But it was worth a try.  Sticking with Bijou next year, but not the golden sweet, they get stringy very early on.  The sugar bon/oregon sugar pod I grew tasted better, just wish I could remember which one it was Cry
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
Yesterday my first Patisson Gagat squash and by the looks of it the only one I'll be getting.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Picked the first Picasso sweetcorn cobs. It's supposedly synergistic, but heaven knows what that means. In comparison with Swift, not quite as sweet but just as tender and very pretty with different colour kernels. A little later than Swift. Both varieties excellent.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie