Colours
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Just curious what you do with colours. Is there any you won’t grow? Any you won’t have next to each other? Do you only go with certain colour for a particular variety of flower ? Do you grow a mix of colours or in blocks ? Do you grow all the shades of a particular colour together? 

I’m going with all colours and Mixed but in blocks of varieties , I think.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I Don't grow any acid green colours such as euphorbias - it never seems a proper flower colour. When I was younger I hated anything bright orange, but now I find myself growing calendulas and tithonias with abandon. I wouldn't ever put them near anything pink though!
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 4 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I find the garden seems to go in waves of colour. In spring it's blues and yellows, which give way in summer to pastel pinks and whites, then towards autumn the reds and golds come into their own.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 4 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I muddle them up as they don't normally all flower at the same time and, even if they did, I wouldn't mind.
As Moth says, colours come in waves - at the moment you'd think that I only grew yellow (daffs, forsythia, flowering kale, celandine) and blue (hyacinths, bluebells, and a nod towards crocus).
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
You presume I have any organisation in the flower border! Anything that flowers gets bunged in probably with regard to height but as I am carp with flowers and more often than not they die so I'm only too grateful they flower at all, let alone what colour. So I'm absolutely no help whatsoever.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-04-2021, 08:46 AM)Moth Wrote: I Don't grow any acid green colours such as euphorbias - it never seems a proper flower colour. When I was younger I hated anything bright orange, but now I find myself growing calendulas and tithonias with abandon. I wouldn't ever put them near anything pink though!
I think euphorbias are weeds. I dug mine out and gave them away to a willing recipient! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I like growing in blocks but the colours in a bed are a mix. Generally when planting I'm more interested in height and spread than colour.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
I prefer purples, blues, pinks and whites, but I'll grow other colours if they are useful plants, e.g. marigolds. However I put those in the veg beds, where a lot of the flowers are yellow anyway!

This year in my flower beds and containers I have tulips in shades of burgundy and purple (and some white streaked with pink, like raspberry ripple ice-cream), plus salvia, perennial basil, aubrieta, fuchsias, alyssum, pansies, lobelia, calibrachoa, etc etc.
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like Eyren's post:
  • Moth, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-04-2021, 09:20 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(14-04-2021, 08:46 AM)Moth Wrote: I Don't grow any acid green colours such as euphorbias - it never seems a proper flower colour. When I was younger I hated anything bright orange, but now I find myself growing calendulas and tithonias with abandon. I wouldn't ever put them near anything pink though!
I think euphorbias are weeds. I dug mine out and gave them away to a willing recipient! Rolleyes
Agreed. Horrible stuff
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Moth, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I love euphorbia...love the colour in Spring. It's really fresh with bright tulips.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie