Garden And Gossip Forums
Colours - Printable Version

+- Garden And Gossip Forums (https://gardenandgossip.org)
+-- Forum: Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Forum: All about Flowers and Ornamentals (https://gardenandgossip.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Colours (/showthread.php?tid=1024)

Pages: 1 2

Colours - Small chilli - 14-04-2021

Just curious what you do with colours. Is there any you won’t grow? Any you won’t have next to each other? Do you only go with certain colour for a particular variety of flower ? Do you grow a mix of colours or in blocks ? Do you grow all the shades of a particular colour together? 

I’m going with all colours and Mixed but in blocks of varieties , I think.

RE: Colours - Moth - 14-04-2021

I Don't grow any acid green colours such as euphorbias - it never seems a proper flower colour. When I was younger I hated anything bright orange, but now I find myself growing calendulas and tithonias with abandon. I wouldn't ever put them near anything pink though!

RE: Colours - Moth - 14-04-2021

I find the garden seems to go in waves of colour. In spring it's blues and yellows, which give way in summer to pastel pinks and whites, then towards autumn the reds and golds come into their own.

RE: Colours - Veggie - 14-04-2021

I muddle them up as they don't normally all flower at the same time and, even if they did, I wouldn't mind.
As Moth says, colours come in waves - at the moment you'd think that I only grew yellow (daffs, forsythia, flowering kale, celandine) and blue (hyacinths, bluebells, and a nod towards crocus).

RE: Colours - JJB - 14-04-2021

You presume I have any organisation in the flower border! Anything that flowers gets bunged in probably with regard to height but as I am carp with flowers and more often than not they die so I'm only too grateful they flower at all, let alone what colour. So I'm absolutely no help whatsoever.

RE: Colours - Vinny - 14-04-2021

(14-04-2021, 08:46 AM)Moth Wrote: I Don't grow any acid green colours such as euphorbias - it never seems a proper flower colour. When I was younger I hated anything bright orange, but now I find myself growing calendulas and tithonias with abandon. I wouldn't ever put them near anything pink though!
I think euphorbias are weeds. I dug mine out and gave them away to a willing recipient! Rolleyes

RE: Colours - toomanytommytoes - 14-04-2021

I like growing in blocks but the colours in a bed are a mix. Generally when planting I'm more interested in height and spread than colour.

RE: Colours - Eyren - 14-04-2021

I prefer purples, blues, pinks and whites, but I'll grow other colours if they are useful plants, e.g. marigolds. However I put those in the veg beds, where a lot of the flowers are yellow anyway!

This year in my flower beds and containers I have tulips in shades of burgundy and purple (and some white streaked with pink, like raspberry ripple ice-cream), plus salvia, perennial basil, aubrieta, fuchsias, alyssum, pansies, lobelia, calibrachoa, etc etc.

RE: Colours - Small chilli - 14-04-2021

(14-04-2021, 09:20 AM)Vinny Wrote:
(14-04-2021, 08:46 AM)Moth Wrote: I Don't grow any acid green colours such as euphorbias - it never seems a proper flower colour. When I was younger I hated anything bright orange, but now I find myself growing calendulas and tithonias with abandon. I wouldn't ever put them near anything pink though!
I think euphorbias are weeds. I dug mine out and gave them away to a willing recipient! Rolleyes
Agreed. Horrible stuff

RE: Colours - Scarlet - 14-04-2021

I love euphorbia...love the colour in Spring. It's really fresh with bright tulips.