2024 - What I did today
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
After work, put another 5 rocks round the edge of the crescent bed. Can’t do anymore until I’ve split more.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Did some weeding in Veg plot 6, also in VP2 where i want to plant out some mangetout seedlings.
Then, a big jobby, hacking out some brambles, cutting back some unloved hydrangeas and other shrubs in a corner of the original garden. I planted that border 40 years ago and haven't done much to it since then! Its a very shady corner, as the neighbours' conifers steal the light. I hate those conifers; they were probably planted when the house was built in the '30s and would have been the back hedge then.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some weeding in VP7, grass raking in all sorts of places, went out collecting freebies and to Morries for yellow stickers. Not much today apart from fresh meat/veggie pies and "sausage" rolls. These will be making a regular appearance on this week's menu.

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hiding from the very heavy rain all day.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Culled old, then planted new, courgette plant. Picked the last of the summer raspberries or maybe they were early autumn ones. The majority of the autumn raspberries are rapidly forming up. Picked blueberries, not very many as one of my two bushes died and the remaining one is looking a bit sad. Stamped on a few snails, like everyone else I'm suffering from too many slugs and snails. Stirred the top foot of the compost, not doing an already dodgy shoulder any good at all. Picked a load of toms. A bit of desultory weeding and deadheading. That was yesterday. Today I plan to plant yet another courgette. Perhaps dig out some MT dried up plants to finish drying. Weed and harvest. Harvesting can take so long, far longer than I anticipate, the same with planting out stuff. The thought 'oh, that'll probably take me an hour at most' turns out to be most of the morning in reality. Time management and spacial perception are perhaps not my strongest traits. Smile .....am I bothered?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its Leaves week and most of the seeds sown 3 weeks ago needed potting/transplanting.
Ruby Chard & Wong Bok Chinese cabbage didn't germinate well so they were bunged in with the Mibuna, Mixed baby Leaves, Speedy Mix salad leaves and Mixed lettuce in one of the supermarket veg trays on the "raised bed".
In another tray I planted some beetroot seedlings.
The Nine Star Perennial broccoli (old seeds) had done well so I planted them into their own little modules.
Sowed some more Leaves and Samphire.
Did some weeding in VP1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Bren Offline
Cut the grass, weeded and some seed sowing.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
          RB No. 2

RB No. 1

"Built" another "Raised bed" using a metal frame acquired earlier this week, a length of GH base frame, cut in half, and 4 supermarket mushroom crates. Lined them with wool insulation and filled them with a mix of sieved hotbin compost and coir.  All FREE.  Big Grin

Also planted some Bijou mangetout to keep the succession going. Time to sow some more.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Moved a pallet into Compost Corner and put 3 Wormeries on it - to make it easier to drain the liquid. Watered the beans and courgettes with the diluted liquid.
Dug out a spiny Worcesterberry, pulled up lots of Montbretia and put the roots in the garden waste bin. Chopped up the leaves and spread them on the path. Started widening this path by cutting back/pulling up the encroaching plants, mainly perennial geraniums, lemon balm and the montbretia. Chopped up some plum tree suckers and pruned part of an apple tree.
I actually feel as if I've achieved something today and made a visible difference for a change. Its Strip 3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Dead headed dahlias and tidied up the flower border, chopping up dried stuff and cutting down dead stuff. You can just about see where I've been.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie