2024 - What I did today
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday was quite a busy one. I planted out some foxgloves next to the post box and cut back som of the rushes. Got round to picking up the grass clippings from cutting bed edges last week. Bob dug trench and laid the electric cable. Ready for connecting. Then we went to Torosay Gardens for a walk round. It’s only open to the public first Sunday of the month through the summer.

Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-07-2024, 08:44 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Yesterday was quite a busy one. I planted out some foxgloves next to the post box and cut back som of the rushes. Got round to picking up the grass clippings from cutting bed edges last week. Bob dug trench and laid the electric cable. Ready for connecting. Then we went to Torosay Gardens for a walk round. It’s only open to the public first Sunday of the month through the summer.

They're beautiful pics. I wish my borders were like that.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I did some maintenance on the only plant P looks after, a phaleonopsis orchid rescued from nextdoor when the house was empty. She's flourishing under his care. I daren't touch it as I've killed far too many orchids in the past. Her underskirts  were going a bit brown and research told me she had too many leaves so I removed 3 leaves,  gave her a bigger outer pot with some stones in the bottom for humidity and drainage.

Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today turned into  a NO-gardening day. Instead, I went on an adventure. Wink.I had to go to town to sort out a bank account (all the other branches have been closed). Its the first time in at least 10 years that I've ventured into the big city - and I went on the bus! Even the buses have changed as they're all electric now. Town was horrible, too many people, familiar shops had closed and been replaced by tat. I went through the old Market Hall, to stay out of the rain and when I came out, there were a couple of workmen with a sweeping brush and pan. They told me to watch the Mouse! Sure enough, there was a tiny little mouse on the pavement. It didn't attempt to run away, even when I bent down close to it. The workmen said they didn't think it was very well. I asked them what their plan was - they were going to sweep it up and take it to the churchyard on the other side of the street - although one of them said it would be kinder to put it out of its misery.  Sad   I left then, not wanting to know what happened next.
I went into the bank and joined a long, winding queue. With a twanging and a clatter, which made me jump, a ?street musician joined the queue behind me.
He wore a knitted hat with reindeer antlers over purple hair. A multicoloured top and shorts, with tattoos on his legs that looked like seams on stockings. He had a pink plastic ?ukulele/guitar that may have come from the pound shop and sounded like cats fighting. Luckily for me, I spotted an assistant so escaped the queue to waylay her.
Its such a relief to be back home. I couldn't have done much gardening anyway, as its rained all day. Maybe tomorrow will be better.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve been rock splitting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(08-07-2024, 06:49 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ve been rock splitting.

Told you so. Madame Jen saw it in the crystal ball  Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today, having missed Sowing Seeds Monday, I sowed mangetout, CFB, courgettes, squash.
Then for Transplant Tuesday, I potted up 2 Baby Bear squash seedlings & planted out a bucket load of spring onions.
I did some catching up on weeding VP1 and VP2. Then I attacked some brambles, docks and hogweed in the Middle of the garden.
Now I'm sitting down and recovering. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Laid a few more slabs in the temporary changing room. Epic fail at rock splitting (drill bit broke, after almost two holes ). Strimmed the cottage garden. Dug moats round the little individual beds along the fence. Don’t know why I didn’t do that when I made them , like all the other beds.
Potted on a couple of radish. So they can go to seed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(09-07-2024, 06:04 PM)Small chilli Wrote:  Epic fail at rock splitting (drill bit broke, after almost two holes ). 

Madame Jen's a rubbish fortuneteller she didn't foretell any broken drills, I'd give her the boot, if I were you.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Weeded VP3 (still more to do but its a start). If I do the same amount for about 4 weeks, I should be on top of it. That's the plan anyway!
Windowsill Wednesday - potted the Basil, Avocado and Lemon grass. Watered the house plants.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli