2024 - What I did today
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Watched P getting wet in the rain pumping water here and there mostly. Quite satisfying really, all my water butts are now full.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Poor Puffy ankled P, pumping water in the Peeing rain, eating poisoned courgettes. You're so cruel, JJB.  Tongue
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Poison and Precipitation will Pickle P for Posterity, Providing Proper Procedures are Performed. Big Grin

It's called Preservation of the Provider.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
^^^ Reminds me of a car Bumper sticker I saw somewhere :- "Preserve Wildlife; Pickle a Squirrel". Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Fed the doomed courgettes and gh toms. Arm pitted and tied in toms. Supported DFB being battered by the wind. Picked soft fruit.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Weeded the top end of Bed 1 (behind GH3). Not so much weeded as cut back shrubs that are being taken over by brambles and convolvulus and were crawling onto the GH roof. There's a bit more light in there now.
My Saturday job is to weed Bed 6 - I did the bit with broad beans and onions. Picked some beans while I was there.
Planted some sweetcorn in VP7. I haven't tried to grow sweetcorn for years, mainly because it always ends in tears. I have my hankie ready. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Went fishing, caught nowt! Sick
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Garrett Offline
Tied in the climbing french beans and runners which were looking a bit disheveled after recent windy days.
Tied the climbing winter squash to their obelisk supports. Did some hand pollinating too as I spotted some female flowers.
Planted out additional Blue Lake CFB, borage, zinnias and rudbeckia.
Sowed wallflowers and forget-me-nots.
Squished all the black aphids I could see on the dahlia stems. My fingers were covered in black juice, such a lovely job!
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(07-07-2024, 01:53 PM)Garrett Wrote: Tied in the climbing french beans and runners which were looking a bit disheveled after recent windy days.
Tied the climbing winter squash to their obelisk supports. Did some hand pollinating too as I spotted some female flowers.
Planted out additional Blue Lake CFB, borage, zinnias and rudbeckia.
Sowed wallflowers and forget-me-nots.
Squished all the black aphids I could see on the dahlia stems. My fingers were covered in black juice, such a lovely job!

I've got black fingers too. So many blackfly. I've got to be careful not to go with instinct and wipe my fingers  off on my jeans bottom, sitting down after tends to leave a Rorscach picture. Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Garrett, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sunday is VegPlot 7 day so I planted the last of the Butternut Squash seedlings there, beside the sweetcorn that was planted yesterday. Did a bit of weeding there too as its also part of Row 1.
I was asked by someone on the local Freebie group for gardening advice. Big Grin Big Grin She wanted shrubs to go in the front garden and asked for cuttings - so I filled a bag with forsythia, hardy fuchsias, bay, cotoneaster and camellia cuttings as they're all easy to propagate. After collecting them her first question was "Should I put them in water?". I think this may be a long haul.Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli