A day of devastation
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-07-2024, 09:38 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Might be worth ordering some plants off eBay? Or perhaps someone near you has spares? Gumtree and Facebook are good for finding plants.

I'll shout out on the local site for spare plants.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-07-2024, 09:27 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 09:00 PM)JJB Wrote: This evening I've sown two seeds each  of 7 courgettes and some cucumbers. I'm not hopeful of much in the way of crops, we dont have your temperate South Wales climate, Veggie. Unfortunately I've run out of Delistar, my favourite cucumber,  but had plenty of Beth Alpha an acceptable substitute.  I've not hit the booze but am currently chomping on a choc ice, there may be more choc to follow. I am so cross with myself and so gutted. 15+ plants ruined. On the upside I suppose I'll now have room for all those extra beans I've been trying to find homes for. I can't imagine a summer without courgettes.
You should stop thinking that the climate here is perfect, JJB. I haven't picked a single courgette or cucumber this year - and there's no sign of any developing yet. Your plants were far ahead of mine and I have every confidence that your new sowings will still be more productive than mine.

I can agree it's not perfect but I think it is more temperate at either end of the season. The new seeds are in the airing cupboard so will have a warm start.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
(03-07-2024, 10:19 PM)JJB Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 09:34 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I don't think weedkiller would work that fast. How much potassium bicarbonate did you use? I usually stick with a 0.5% solution, so 5 grams per litre of water. Did you also use soap?

1 tablespoon to one gallon, ½ teaspoon soap (a bit of hand wash which might be the culprit) and a  ½ teaspoon of veg oil.  Whether its the soap or weedkiller residue I'm still stuffed.
So if 1 tbsp is about 15 g then that's about 3 g per litre, so that doesn't seem like the issue. That amount of soap doesn't seem like it should cause so much damage either, unless it contained some strong essential oils. Vegetable oil wouldn't do it either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-07-2024, 10:30 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 10:19 PM)JJB Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 09:34 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I don't think weedkiller would work that fast. How much potassium bicarbonate did you use? I usually stick with a 0.5% solution, so 5 grams per litre of water. Did you also use soap?

1 tablespoon to one gallon, ½ teaspoon soap (a bit of hand wash which might be the culprit) and a  ½ teaspoon of veg oil.  Whether its the soap or weedkiller residue I'm still stuffed.
So if 1 tbsp is about 15 g then that's about 3 g per litre, so that doesn't seem like the issue. That amount of soap doesn't seem like it should cause so much damage either, unless it contained some strong essential oils. Vegetable oil wouldn't do it either.

It was an Aloe Vera hand soap, it did say antibacterial, which may be the problem.  I'm just hoping that I'll go up the garden in the morning to find them all recovered, but I might be a tad optimistic, one has to hope.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
They'll be fine, fully recovered. Have faith. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
How are they this morning JJB?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(04-07-2024, 08:26 AM)Small chilli Wrote: How are they this morning JJB?
I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this,. Come on JJB, give us a situation report!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker

(04-07-2024, 08:48 AM)Veggie Wrote:
I couldn't sleep last night thinking about this,. Come on JJB, give us a situation report!!

Give me a break girls, only got up at 8.30, then got side tracked by P whose ankles have swollen up drastically.  Went up to look at the babies. All courgettes are looking sorry for themselves although one or two growing points are still perky, all the big leaves are just collapsed.  One or two cucumbers are looking normal so maybe all is not lost there, even one with droopy big leaves is quite firm at the growing point but I fear it maybe just  a matter of time before the whole plant is clobbered.  I've put fleece over the courgettes to protect them from full sun and shaded some of the cucs in the gh to give them a chance to recuperate.   It's shopping day today which takes up the morning but later on I'll take pictures.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Excuses, excuses!! They'll be fine!
Poor P. Did you spray him as well? This weather plays havoc with one's ankles. Sad
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(04-07-2024, 09:51 AM)Veggie Wrote: Excuses, excuses!! They'll be fine!
Poor P. Did you spray him as well? This weather plays havoc with one's ankles. Sad

Not that i can remember, but that's not saying much. The weather, age, a heart and kidneys that are not optimum is a perfect storm for P. My ankles on the other hand are well turned as in a Barbara Cartland novel.........the rest of me is a bit suspect Tongue

PS you cause great hilarity in our household, the image of me spraying P will stay with me all morning.  I wish I could draw cartoons.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny