Rhubarb
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Morning all. I've found my rhubarb infested with black fly and it looks like a caterpillar is eating its leaves.  I've always had a black fly problem elsewhere but never anything eating rhubarb leaves. There's always something sent to try us. Huh
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Any photos of caterpillars? Be interesting to know who’s mad enough to eat them. I have no idea how to deal with black fly.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-07-2024, 11:24 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Any photos of caterpillars? Be interesting to know who’s mad enough to eat them. I have no idea how to deal with black fly.
No caterpillars seen but only frass I will look harder. Pity the bird who eats the caterpillar.  You don't deal with black fly, you squish or tolerate it. Not much of a problem on rhubarb as you wash it off.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Don’t have black fly. Or very few. It’s a different range of pests and problems up here.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-07-2024, 11:24 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Any photos of caterpillars? Be interesting to know who’s mad enough to eat them. I have no idea how to deal with black fly.

I will go on a caterpillar hunt and try to get a photo, agreed it would be interesting.  Will I need a shotgun,  or hazmat suit, do you think?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-07-2024, 11:59 AM)JJB Wrote:

I will go on a caterpillar hunt and try to get a photo, agreed it would be interesting.  Will I need a shotgun,  or hazmat suit, do you think?

I couldn't see any caterpillars,  maybe it was birds pecking the leaves for the black fly. I will keep an eye out.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Black fly have been awful this year. They ruined my garlic in the greenhouse, absolutely infested with them. They've been on the onions and spring onions outside, too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-07-2024, 07:44 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Black fly have been awful this year. They ruined my garlic in the greenhouse, absolutely infested with them. They've been on the onions and spring onions outside, too.

I agree.  I found some even on a tomato. I haven't seen many ladybirds or their larvae, maybe that's why the black fly are thriving.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie