Freecycle and similar websites
JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,071
(20-06-2024, 05:32 PM)Veggie Wrote: It £5 x 2 pantry day so that's what I did this morning. On this week's menu there will be M&S Cheese and Onion Quiche (was £4), Camembert &  fruit things, Stuffing balls!, KFC, mini pizzas, Fajitas, Asparagus, avocadoes, potatoes, carrots, onions, spring onions, string beans, cucumber, tomatoes, a rather large courgette!!, Shitake & white mushrooms, tangerines, a Tub of buttery spread, 20 large free range eggs, bread, rolls, pretzels, soft drinks & 8 tubs of yogurt.

After Pantry I picked up some Lady Grey tea and Blue Pea tea made with Butterfly Pea flowers (Clitoria ternatea). I think I have some seeds for these from Chiltern Seeds so it will be good to see what they taste like before trying to grow them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria_ternatea

Anyone else raised eyebrows at the name of the pea?  Wink
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,072
Have your read the Wiki link? On the Tea packet its called "The Women Tea".
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,073
(21-06-2024, 09:38 AM)Veggie Wrote: Have your read the Wiki link? On the Tea packet its called "The Women Tea".
Read some of it. I wonder in what era it was named. I don't think I've heard of it before,  even in Thailand as a kid. As a teenager that would have spread like wildfire through the school.  Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,074
(21-06-2024, 09:58 AM)JJB Wrote:
(21-06-2024, 09:38 AM)Veggie Wrote: Have your read the Wiki link? On the Tea packet its called "The Women Tea".
Read some of it. I wonder in what era it was named. I don't think I've heard of it before,  even in Thailand as a kid. As a teenager that would have spread like wildfire through the school.  Big Grin

The first reference to the genus, which includes an illustration of the plant, was made in 1678 by Jakób Breyne, a Polish naturalist
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,075
(21-06-2024, 10:48 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(21-06-2024, 09:58 AM)JJB Wrote:

The first reference to the genus, which includes an illustration of the plant, was made in 1678 by Jakób Breyne, a Polish naturalist

You wonder what the Victorians made of it.  'Shock Horror'
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,076
That's perhaps why its called the Butterfly Pea. Big Grin
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,077
Today's In coming FREE stuff was a carrier bag full of shower gel, shampoo, hand wash, talc, mouthwash and some other odds and ends. Enough to see me through another year of not buying toiletries. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,078
IN today came a large bag of dry dog food and some treats. The Girl who gave them to me said that she doesn't bother to offer them on the FB Free group any more, she just messages me direct! I've had lots of dog food from her, as her Mother's dog is rather picky about what she'll eat. Good dog, keep it up. Big Grin
Also IN came a liquidiser/blender which I need for making nut cheese. I do have a liquidiser attachment for the Kenwood Chef (too much faff to bring it down from the top of the cupboard!). There's another one in the garage but that one's been used for fish food and I don't fancy using it for human food now.
The liquidiser came with a bag of chick peas, pearl barley, pasta, brown rice and an assortment of spices. Apparently the daughter brought them back from her student digs.
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,079
I was offered some more Sourdough bread tonight - so of course, I accepted. Now need to make room in the freezer for it - 5 loaves. Big Grin

doublyjonah Offline
#1,080
My nice husband cycled over to pick up some free courgette (three types), chard, carrot, radish, nasturtium, calendula, and borage seeds that someone was giving away. All in date or self saved. Second interaction of the day with someone who doesn't keep seeds for more than a year. I do not have that compunction...
[-] The following 2 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Veggie