Veggie's random garden
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

My plans to convert this netted area into a fruit cage came to an end when the snow came and demolished the netting roof and dragged most of the uprights out of the ground. Its too far gone to rebuild it so, its Plan B. 

About half of the space is a pond, the other half is floored with slices of ash tree and gravel on top of, I think, plastic. The ash slices are mossy and slippery when wet so they have to go.
The pond is lined with, would you believe, flexible pond liner. i don't want to take this out because there's all sort of rubbish underneath - kitchen worksurface, table top, polystyrene, duvets - in fact anything I could find to  level the bottom and protect the liner from tree roots and rocks. 
My vague plan is to empty the pond, puncture the liner so that it can drain, throw the ash slices into the empty pond and try to find some soil to fill the hole with.

My question to the panel is - what plants would enjoy having their roots in this sort of location. I imagine it will stay damp and the wood will act like a sunken hugelkultur bed.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is going to take some thinking about. Back later
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Plants are just part of the equation. I'm also wondering how to make best use of the wire netting enclosure. There are at least 4 options - remove the lot, repair the lot, leave the south (far) side standing or the north (near) side standing. Either of the last 2 options would leave enough spare wire to close off another bit of garden from the dogs. At the moment, I'm favouring reinstating the south side and attaching it to the Pea cage. This would keep the dogs off the "pond" bed. Any other option doesn't.
I've covered lots of backs of envelopes this weekend.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

A few old photos.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Fill hole with organic matter, needn't be composted, and palnt runner beans in a layer of soil/compost on top! They'll love it! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
The Web says figs, celery, peas and asparagus like damp soil.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Having had a long, hard look at the patch, removed most of the roof netting and braced most of the collapsed uprights, today's Plan is to remove almost all of the fencing and replace it with the low level "playpen" fences and gates that I've been using to keep the dogs off some of the beds. If I close off the ground to the left of the doorway with a gate, I can remove all the Playpen fences behind it and use those to enclose the pond area.
This will give me more veg patch ground to play with and make access to the pea frame, bean house and other bits easier as I won't have to open/close all the little gates to keep the dogs out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

This is what I mean by Playpen fencing - and I'll be able to take it all down if I make a new entrance to the veg patch.
I love it when there's a new plan coming together that actually makes sense. Big Grin
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(12-03-2023, 05:43 PM)Veggie Wrote: This is what I mean by Playpen fencing - and I'll be able to take it all down if I make a new entrance to the veg patch.
I love it when there's a new plan coming together that actually makes sense. Big Grin
You beeen watching the A Team again? Big Grin

https://tenor.com/en-GB/view/ateam-plan-...f-19272497
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
They copied me. Big Grin
  • Vinny