Tomatoes for sauce
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm halfheartedly mulling over what toms to grow next year and think I'm going to grow more paste tomatoes for sauce.

What does the panel consider the best toms for a good flavoured sauce?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I can’t give a very sensible answer JJB. I make my tomato sauce out of whatever I’m growing. I don’t really care if there’s proper sauce making one. I make mine multi talented  Rolleyes .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Same here, SC. I guess it would be one with few pips and biggish?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(01-10-2021, 01:53 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I can’t give a very sensible answer JJB. I make my tomato sauce out of whatever I’m growing. I don’t really care if there’s proper sauce making one. I make mine multi talented  Rolleyes .

That's exactly what I've done up until now, but thought I might end up with a thicker sauce with less reducing if I started out with a paste tom rather that the usual motley bunch, also thought I might use less freezer space.  TBH when I've tried to grow Roma or San Marzano in the past, I've failed miserably. The term sauce is rather a misnomer, it's usually tomato dollop, i.e sauted onions with peeled toms reduced and frozen ready to have whatever seasoning etc added after defrosting, but thanks for the reply, makes me feel l'm not alone Smile
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
A few of the varieties I'm looking at are Opalka, Piramide and Amish paste, plus the usual San M and Roma.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Can the Man, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
San marzano and roma here, topped up with anything that's going to go off before we get to eat them!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:

toomanytommytoes Offline
Any good tasting tomatoes really, though personally I avoid using sweeter ones like cherries because I hate sweet tomato sauce. We had over 20kg of tomatoes to use from 4 determinate plants outdoors, and any over ripe ones from the greenhouse went in the pot too. Paste tomatoes contain less juice, so they cook down quicker, and are generally a bit more bland raw, so the sauce isn't overpowering in sweetness or acidity.

Something high yielding, plum or heart shaped (fewer seeds, meatier) and on the larger side to make them easier to skin (I didn't bother de-seeding or skinning though). I'll probably be sending some EM Champion seed into the seed circle, we got 15kg from two plants outdoors, maybe you could get 10kg per plant in a greenhouse.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:

Bren Offline
For Sauce I use San Marzano it never fails to give good results, I did try Amish paste one year but thought they tasted bland.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I roasted a buffalo horn last night to have with dinner, the taste was excellent. Big fruit, little seeds or liquid. They drop off the vine unripe a bit but I'll definitely be growing them again. I'm always surprised at the difference in taste from uncooked to cooked.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Bren, Can the Man

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
I just roast what ever I have with some garlic and balsamic vinegar spray, then blitz them into a sauce, divide it into containers with sufficient for the base of a curry, chillies or whatever for approx. 3 people. They are then frozen and taken out when needed.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, JJB