This time last year...........
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have diaries from when I was a teenager -no way am I showing you those.Smile Nothing about gardening in them.Wink
Oh, and you can't waffle on a spreadsheet - no wonder I don't get on with them!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I don't like spreadsheets either(Reminds me of my past work!) Cry

My boss used to want everything on a flaming spreadsheet or even a Powerpoint presentation, which was worse.He was from an office environment. I was more hands on and to be honest couldn't be arsed, but to keep the pen-pushers happy I had to do them.

I vowed when I left work NO MORE SPREADSHEETS! Rolleyes

As far as writing is concerned its a forgotten art by me .The only writing I seem to do now is shopping lists! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I like writing things down - my problem is reading what I've written. I can still read my teenage writing though!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Moth, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-06-2021, 10:45 PM)Veggie Wrote: I like writing things down - my problem is reading what I've written. 

Or finding the place where you've written it!  You do realise that with 12 books you are increasing the possible places where that particular 'scribble' might be.  Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Not really, JJB as it will only be in This month or the previous month. Anything that happened before then can wait until next year.
There may be a trip to B&M later today as they have some £1.50 notebooks in various designs. I'll see how many different ones they have - don't want duplicates as that would be confusing.Wink https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?sortBy...c&query=A5
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I think it's a brilliant idea, Veggie. Everything you need to find about a particular month will be all together, no hunting out a pile of books to find which particular June you planted such and such a plant. You can easily check at the start of each month what you have done in previous years. Plus, every month you will put away the old book and be starting a"brand new" book again, so it will inspire you to keep making notes all year. I may have to do this myself, it's such a good idea. (I'm very poor at keeping up notes/diaries after the first flush of enthusiasm).
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thank you, Moth. Big Grin
I'm not used to such enthusiasm for my nutty ideas!
I've always liked that new diary feeling at the end of December, moving essential bits of info into the new diary in readiness. Writing on the first few pages - the problem is, its January and not much exciting happens then (apart from my birthday which was only exciting when I was a child).
I've tried a looseleaf binder - moving each month's pages into it- but it didn't grab me for long. Hope this idea does better.Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-06-2021, 10:17 AM)Veggie Wrote: Not really, JJB as it will only be in This month or the previous month. Anything that happened before then can wait until next year.
There may be a trip to B&M later today as they have some £1.50 notebooks in various designs. I'll see how many different ones they have - don't want duplicates as that would be confusing.Wink https://www.bmstores.co.uk/search?sortBy...c&query=A5

Or one big book with dividers?

Discussing this with Paul he did raise the query about the differing seasons not conforming to the same month each year.  I'm toying with a fat book with sections for each  type of plant for the veg patch.  Yes I have the spreadsheet for dates etc, but as you say you can ramble better in a book, plus it comes up the patch with me..

Just look  what you've started!  Rolleyes
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
One big book with dividers doesn't work for me - I know, I have one!!
I like A5 size as I can use it as a mouse mat - so its always at hand when I'm online. At the moment I'm using a 2017 diary with no entries between 29 May and 1 September!! If only I'd had little books for those 3 missing months!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Vinny

Bren Offline
Since 2010 I've been using a A5 ring binder its mostly kept up to date.
Page headings are.

Name, Were sown, When, Sprouted, Planted out. First crop.

It gives an idea how long things take to germinate plus it was handy with Veggies A to Z games. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, Veggie, Vinny