2024 - What I did today
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
After work I did some more stone picking. Tied marker string round the tomatoes I’m saving for seed collection. Wrestled the hosepipe into submission (coiled up the excess). Put the next section of drainage pipe into the ditch. Did some more head scratching over the layout of the oversized gutter (30 cm diameter pipe that used to be a pontoon) bed. Still not come up with any good ideas.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The big job today was cutting out some brambles that were growing through the apple trees behind the house. They were too thick to cut with secateurs - monster brambles with thorns to match. They were laden with fruit though, most of it still green. The dogs ate the black ones. They love their fruit.
Next job was to remove all the peaches from the tree. They've split with the wet weather and were all rotting. At least I had one giant peach this year.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Admin, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another day of achieving very little. Dead heading the cottage garden. Harvesting a few bits. Seed saving. A bit of planning.
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Clearing up after yesterday. Tending to GHs, some weeding in VP7.
A new week tomorrow and its Fruits week and the Middle Strip.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Today's forecast high is for 28 degrees, tomorrow 31I don't expect anything energetic will be going on outside.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
This mound of weeds is actually black gold (well rotted manure)

We actually went to get some on Saturday. But Bob said you’ll never get into it. Need to borrow the farm tractor to scrape all the weeds off. 
Well I’m sick of having to wait for someone else when ever I want to do anything at the moment. I’m not going to let this turn into a rant  Wink .
Anyway today I walked the half mile back to it with my shears & spade.       
Walking home feeling quite tired and excited because we can go get some tonight when bob gets home. I get a message.
“Can you empty the big trailer. Little one is broken. I’ll have to go pick it up after work “ . Sometimes I could start to take this **it personally  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin  . 
So I’m now off to empty the trailer of sawdust. Failing to dry it for the composting toilet. Then I’ll find something else to do in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

Made a "raised bed" . Sowed DFB in one crate. Three more to go. 
It took a rehydrated block of coir to fill the 4 crates, plus some compost. I lined the bottom of the crates with wool insulation, to hold water and stop the coir from falling through the holes in the base, 
I've had a lot of trouble with ants in 2 of the GHs, and I'm reluctant to plant anything in the GH beds until the ants have moved on. As a solution, I'm going to grow in these crates which I will be able to move under cover when the weather turns colder. 
Weeded VP1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-07-2024, 07:52 PM)Veggie Wrote: Made a "raised bed" . Sowed DFB in one crate. Three more to go. 
It took a rehydrated block of coir to fill the 4 crates, plus some compost. I lined the bottom of the crates with wool insulation, to hold water and stop the coir from falling through the holes in the base, 
I've had a lot of trouble with ants in 2 of the GHs, and I'm reluctant to plant anything in the GH beds until the ants have moved on. As a solution, I'm going to grow in these crates which I will be able to move under cover when the weather turns colder. 
Weeded VP1.

They look super,  I like the wool insulation idea. I wondered what it was looking at the photo. The ants have started to fly today here.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It was too hot to do anything energetic today so I had a little chat with the worms. Gave them some cabbage to nibble on and drained the worm tea from the bins. I diluted it and watered the mangetout, beans, courgettes and Miss P as a treat.
Henceforth, I'm going to make Wednesday into Worms Day as well as Windowsill Day...........but I'm ahead of myself, as its Tuesday. Tomorrow, I'll do Windowsills.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Collected seeds. Sown peony seeds. Dead headed cornflowers. Harvested things. Started emptying generator shed. Which will be after a little adjustment, my garden shed.
  • Veggie