2024 - What I did today
Bren Offline
Weeding, feeding and grass cutting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bren's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Unlike yesterday, its been raining - so I took a rain check and will return to my tasks another day.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Today I returned from another Motorhome adventure with Kato! I learned a lot,  after assurances from the guy at the campsite that even though heavy rain was forecast I would be fine parking my 3.5 tonne rig on the grass  (asked for hardstanding, but none) next to an electric hookup. It stotted down with rain all night (Kato slept through it on the double bed he grabbed first leaving me with the single bed!) Smile
I had to manouvere motorhome into a reasonably level area so my onboard fridge would work. I figured out how to get hot water and both my batteries are now fully charged even after watching my telly all evening. Cool I would still like to have got the motorhome more level (worried about boiling water on the gas cooke)  so need to purchase some motorhome ramps for levelling?
Anyway, his assurances were false and it took me half an hour to get off the field finally having to resort to reversing at speed with very little rear view. The tramlines on the field through mine and others earlier attemps are down to him, who was nowhere to be seen!
There were still some heavy vans on field when I left so I hope they managed to get off with out being dragged off by tractor!
One of my jobs for today now I am home is to hose down the mud caked wheels and wheel arches.

Such is life, we both still enjoyed our excursion and Kato enjoyed exploring new territory and peeing on it! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sounds like great fun, Vinny. I'm glad Kato is enjoying his adventures!
On Uncle's sailing boat we used to be able to boil a kettle, whatever the state of the sea. The gas hob must have had some sort of self-levelling device. The word "gimble" comes to mind??
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Exciting times Vinny. I'm envious, but not of the shenanigans in the mud. I think you're right Veggie, I thought gimbal. What a wonderful word.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-07-2024, 02:35 PM)JJB Wrote: Exciting  times Vinny. I'm envious, but not of the shenanigans in the mud. I think you're right Veggie, I thought gimbal. What a wonderful word.
I associate it with the Jabberwocky Big Grin
"Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe". 

One of my favourite childhood poems. My Mother didn't have a clue what I was on about, as usual!!

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/4...abberwocky
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today was warm enough in the tunnel to wars some compost. So I potted up my bird of paradise plant.
Cut back some more dead leaves on the pumpkin. It’s not doing well. Harvested stuff
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I remember that one. I don't think anyone knew what Lewis Carrol was on about most of the time.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today turned into a heavy pruning day. Chopped back a Forsythia that has been overrun by honeysuckle and brambles. Still more to do on that one. Also cut a lot of crossing and low branches out of some of the apple trees. I was having to duck under the branches to walk down the path, and, as you know, I'm not very tall!!
Dragged and barrowed all the prunings to the end of the garden - some into the bonfire pit and the bigger stuff to dry out a bit with a view to shredding them sometime.
Did a bit of weeding in VP6 & 7.
All ready for Roots week again, starting tomorrow. One 3 week cycle completed. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(21-07-2024, 04:20 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(21-07-2024, 02:35 PM)JJB Wrote: Exciting  times Vinny. I'm envious, but not of the shenanigans in the mud. I think you're right Veggie, I thought gimbal. What a wonderful word.
I associate it with the Jabberwocky Big Grin
"Twas brillig and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe". 

One of my favourite childhood poems. My Mother didn't have a clue what I was on about, as usual!!

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/4...abberwocky
I remember that from school! I couldn't make head nor tail of it then...............and I still can't! Blush
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB