Vinny's Allotment Plot
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I grow garlic and leeks. Elephant garlic is supposed to look like one but be related to the other. How do people use it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Use the cloves as you would use ordinary garlic but Elephant's tend to be bigger and milder.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
A happy two hours hand weeding today, mainly groundsel before it flowers and gives me another seven years of weeding!

Came away at the first sign of a back twinge as I have boxing this evening and need to be on my toes for that! Rolleyes

Brought some broadies back for ron. Had an excellent crop of these but for everything else it's been a dire year............! Oh tell a le, one of my gooseberry bushes have performed well and the elephant garlic aint too bad.

Poor germination and heavy predation is a bummer! Sick Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
A trip back to the allotment before I get a letter! Blush

Weeds were three feet high and courgetes were full blown marrows! Cry

Spent a couple of hours hand weeding (my back can testify to this)  Smile and hoe-ing! I managed to get the plot looking semi-respectable and hopefully avoided a letter.
Onions are ready for harvesting and I harvested a few. I stole a couple of plumbs which were hanging over my plot from next doors tree, and very tasty they were too!
I have two grape vines trained into the greenhouse with one small bunch on each.

The spring cabbage are hearting up even though it is now autumn.

I will try and get back on a decent weather day next week and tickle over some beds , adding manure as I go,ready for the winter planting
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie