2024 - What I did today
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-06-2024, 09:27 AM)JJB Wrote: Nature and I are going to fall out big time. Yesterday I found a squirrel in the fruit cage happily eating strawberries. It had chewed holes in the plastic net which I then mended and reinforced with chicken wire. I set a humane trap last night and checked it this morning. He'd only chewed another hole, avoided the trap and escaped. As it is I've reinforced all round  the bottom 8" of the net with wire mesh in previous years.  Today's job, if rain allows, is top reinforce a further 8" around the bottom, although the first holes were chest height so that might not be a solution.  Some big birds are pecking off the heads of my French marigolds too. The other strawberry patch was decimated by mice, so much so I'm considering digging them out and not bothering. 

I'm disheartened.  Sad
Chin up Moonraker! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Yesterday I made a start at recommisioning the Fergi! It hasn't ran for at least six months so I thought I would need to invest in a new battery. I was very surprised when I turned the key that the ignition light came on so I decided to remove the battery and charge it up. It's now charged and seems fine. I wil refit battery today then drain the tank of manky petrol and after adding fresh petrol,and hopefully a bit of tinkering, will get her fired up! Cool Weather permitting of course as it has just started raining and thunderstorms are forecast! Cry
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-06-2024, 12:19 PM)Vinny Wrote: Yesterday I made a start at recommisioning the Fergi! It hasn't ran for at least six months so I thought I would need to invest in a new battery. I was very surprised when I turned the key that the ignition light came on so I decided to remove the battery and charge it up. It's now charged and seems fine. I wil refit battery today then drain the tank of manky petrol and after adding fresh petrol,and hopefully a bit of tinkering, will get her fired up! Cool Weather permitting of course as it has just started raining and thunderstorms are forecast! Cry

What do you plan to do with the Fergi once it starts up?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Weeded the block paving in the front garden while I waited for the new lawnmower to be delivered ( any time before 8pm). When I'd had enough of that I hung around near the back of the house and played with the dogs as I was sure they'd let me know when the delivery man arrived. Still waiting, I went into the house for something and, lo and behold, there was a big box in the porch. I've no idea how he managed to deliver it unnoticed. I@m going to give the guard dogs the sack!!
Gave it a test run this afternoon before the rain arrived.
Also did some Nettle and dock pulling at the far end of the garden.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Garrett Offline
Mowed the lawn after having a surprise sunny, dry afternoon.
Constructed a smaller A-frame with bamboo and twine to support the extra borlotti beans I sowed in pots.
Sowed additional Jacob's Cattle chitted dwarf beans to fill in the gaps where there hasn't been any sign of life yet.
[-] The following 3 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(14-06-2024, 01:06 PM)JJB Wrote:
(14-06-2024, 12:19 PM)Vinny Wrote: Yesterday I made a start at recommisioning the Fergi! It hasn't ran for at least six months so I thought I would need to invest in a new battery. I was very surprised when I turned the key that the ignition light came on so I decided to remove the battery and charge it up. It's now charged and seems fine. I wil refit battery today then drain the tank of manky petrol and after adding fresh petrol,and hopefully a bit of tinkering, will get her fired up! Cool Weather permitting of course as it has just started raining and thunderstorms are forecast! Cry

The best laid plans of mice and men dictated that the big fire up wasn't about to happen! After coupling up the battery,stopping the petrol at the tap and washing out the glass bowl the carburettor decided it was going to leak from the choke flap! I have ordered a carburettor gasket kit but I am unsure whether this will cure my problem. I then spent an hour disconnecting the carburetteor from allt he pipes and linkages, took itinside and gave it a good clean down ready for when the gasket set arrives. If I can get it sorted I should be able travel to the allotments a couple of miles away(it is road legal) and sort out any little niggles that rear there ugly head! Once sorted I can take it fishing which is abut a 10 mile trip. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Dug up some marjoram and replanted it in the "rockery" and added some lambs ears to keep it company.
Pulled up more grass and weeds so that I can get to the "bed" where I plan to plant some Squash.........then the heavens opened and I headed for the trees for shelter. The rain didn't stop so I went home to dry off.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(15-06-2024, 05:05 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(14-06-2024, 01:06 PM)JJB Wrote:

The best laid plans of mice and men dictated that the big fire up wasn't about to happen! After coupling up the battery,stopping the petrol at the tap and washing out the glass bowl the carburettor decided it was going to leak from the choke flap! I have ordered a carburettor gasket kit but I am unsure whether this will cure my problem. I then spent an hour disconnecting the carburetteor from allt he pipes and linkages, took itinside and gave it a good clean down ready for when the gasket set arrives. If I can get it sorted I should be able travel to the allotments a couple of miles away(it is road legal) and sort out any little niggles that rear there ugly head! Once sorted I can take it fishing which is abut a 10 mile trip. Smile

Note to fish....beware little grey fergies  Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Watered my tunnel, next doors greenhouse last day for this. Sorted a selection of sow now seeds for our neighbours as they have a new big blow away. And gave them a bag of compost and some plants.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Garrett Offline
Planted out the borlotti beans.
Planted "chocolate" sunflowers and "green eyes" rudbeckia.
Decided to sow more french beans as the ones already growing are looking rather sad due to the triple whammy of cool temperatures, slugs and pigeons.
[-] The following 3 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie