Samphire grass
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s very interesting stuff. Thanks Veggie. I’ve bookmarked that page. I’d never considered taking cuttings. Might have to try that.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
What does it taste of? I somehow imagine it to taste like a salty esparagus? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Salty, definitely. Texture a little more tricky to describe. When cook possibly could be loosely comparable to asparagus. Raw, it’s got a good crunch to it, and sort of juicy. Like I said difficult to describe.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ooh, I love it..,. May give some a go next year!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've lifted this from the Somerset Samphire website - as its the most helpful growing instructions I've seen. 
https://growninengland.co.uk/giw_grower/...-samphire/

Growing from seed
 Seeds are available from DT Brown and Sarah Raven. I tried for two years to germinate with none or limited success. What I did learn was that to germinate successfully the compost needs to be treated beforehand with the watering mix used all year round.
 This is per 5 litres of tap water or water butt water
 6 teaspoons of sea salt (not table salt)
 1 capful 15ml of seaweed extract
 Sow from the beginning of April into the treated compost. Germination is slow and plants take up to 3-4 months to the first cutting. I have transplanted successfully into both plastic and terracotta pots but wait until seedlings are at least 2cm high otherwise they will have very little root. My experience of seed grown plants is that they will generally run to seed in Autumn. Therefore at Somerset Samphire we only grow our plants from cuttings as these will overwinter with some protection
 Growing from Cuttings
 I discovered in year 2 that I could successfully root cuttings in the watering mixture in jam jars. However this took a few weeks and I could only root 8-10 at a time. Earlier this year I purchased the 40 cell hydropod with heating from greenhouse sensation. I found on average I could root 30 out of 40 cuttings in two weeks with strong root growth. These were potted into either 9cm 1 plant or 13cm pots 3 plants in either terracotta or plastic both grew equally well with the first cutting after 8-10 weeks.
 Growing On
 I have grown plants on happily in normal multipurpose compost and have used a number of brands with equal success. Plastic, terracotta and a polystyrene box have all proved to be good. Terracotta dries out quickly but retains the salt so is a good choice. Pest and disease is non-existent as the salt deters the predators.
 Check watering daily and always use the watering solution of sea salt and seaweed extract. Watering is fine from both above and below but always keep moist.

The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-07-2024, 09:34 AM)Veggie Wrote: I've lifted this from the Somerset Samphire website - as its the most helpful growing instructions I've seen. 

Growing from seed
 Seeds are available from DT Brown and Sarah Raven. I tried for two years to germinate with none or limited success. What I did learn was that to germinate successfully the compost needs to be treated beforehand with the watering mix used all year round.
 Sow from the beginning of April into the treated compost. Germination is slow and plants take up to 3-4 months to the first cutting. I have transplanted successfully into both plastic and terracotta pots but wait until seedlings are at least 2cm high otherwise they will have very little root. My experience of seed grown plants is that they will generally run to seed in Autumn. Therefore at Somerset Samphire we only grow our plants from cuttings as these will overwinter with some protection
 Growing from Cuttings
 I discovered in year 2 that I could successfully root cuttings in the watering mixture in jam jars. However this took a few weeks and I could only root 8-10 at a time. Earlier this year I purchased the 40 cell hydropod with heating from greenhouse sensation. I found on average I could root 30 out of 40 cuttings in two weeks with strong root growth. These were potted into either 9cm 1 plant or 13cm pots 3 plants in either terracotta or plastic both grew equally well with the first cutting after 8-10 weeks.
 Growing On
 I have grown plants on happily in normal multipurpose compost and have used a number of brands with equal success. Plastic, terracotta and a polystyrene box have all proved to be good. Terracotta dries out quickly but retains the salt so is a good choice. Pest and disease is non-existent as the salt deters the predators.
 Check watering daily and always use the watering solution of sea salt and seaweed extract. Watering is fine from both above and below but always keep moist.

You can't get more detailed than that. Very interesting and informative but I don't think I'll bother. I don't even know if I like it. It'll give SC a fighting chance. Are you going to try growing samphire Veggie?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-07-2024, 09:40 AM)JJB Wrote:
(14-07-2024, 09:34 AM)Veggie Wrote: I've lifted this from the Somerset Samphire website - as its the most helpful growing instructions I've seen. 

Growing from seed
 Growing from Cuttings
 Growing On

You can't get more detailed than that. Very interesting and informative but I don't think I'll bother. I don't even know if I like it. It'll give SC a fighting chance. Are you going to try growing samphire Veggie?
Veggie has at least 3 packets of seed   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin . I really hope she does, it’d be fun to have a samphire growing buddy  Blush Cool . Especially as you’ve quit already  Tongue Big Grin .
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, I'm in. Can't leave SC on her own. Big Grin
I need to find some seaweed extract first, then I'm going to give it a go. Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(14-07-2024, 10:32 AM)Veggie Wrote: Yes, I'm in. Can't leave SC on her own. Big Grin
I need to find some seaweed extract first, then I'm going to give it a go. Big Grin
I thought most of the tomato feeds were seaweed based? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've started. Big Grin
Filled a terracotta bulb bowl with compost.
Found some vintage Groworganic Seaweed tablets, put 2 tablets in a 2 litre milk container, Added 2 teaspoons of sea salt and some rainwater.
Put the pot inside a small animal cage which holds water and gave the compost a good soak with the seaweed solution.
My plan is to keep watering it for a week or so, then sow some of the new samphire seeds.
I'm going to prepare a couple of small pots, and sow the old seeds in those - because, as we know, every seed deserves a chance. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli