Non F1 alternative to Sungold
JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-07-2024, 08:01 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: There have been numerous attempts to de-hybridise Sungold, but I don't think any of them have quite capture the unique taste/aroma.

The most well-known are probably Sungold Select, Sungold Select II and Big Sungold Select, all bred by Reinhard Kraft.

There's also the Ambrosia line of cherries from J&L Gardens. I'm not sure if they came from Sungold, but the mentions of spicy and tropical in some of the descriptions make me think they did.

Gobstopper is a quite recent one from Brown Envelope Seeds in Ireland.

There are also some very highly rated de-hybridisations of Sunsugar called Honey Drop (not the pear-shaped one) and Pink Princess.

Black Hole Sun, Sweet As Linda and Chocolate Drop all have Sungold as one of the parents.

I've also read good things about Santiam Sunrise, Snow White and Isis Candy.

These aren't commercial varieties so you'll have to get them from smaller seed sellers.

You can get Pink Princess from Tomato Fifou (I have ordered from them a few times before and they are very good) - https://www.tomatofifou.com/en/produit/pink-princess/

Meraki Seeds have Big Sungold Select, Sungold Select II, Honey Drop, Pink Princess, Gobstopper, four of the Ambrosia cherries, and a few of the other varieties I mentioned (I've not ordered from them before) - https://merakiseeds.com/

I knew I could rely on you TMTT.  Food for thought there.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
Non F1 alternative to Sungold - by JJB - 13-07-2024, 09:32 AM
RE: Non F1 alternative to Sungold - by JJB - 13-07-2024, 03:10 PM
RE: Non F1 alternative to Sungold - by Veggie - 13-07-2024, 12:50 PM
RE: Non F1 alternative to Sungold - by JJB - 13-07-2024, 10:41 PM
RE: Non F1 alternative to Sungold - by JJB - 14-07-2024, 09:26 AM