Non stop begonias
JJB Offline
Moonraker
My tuberous begonias fromm 2022 thrived in that year. The original corms were a bit withered as they were in a late season sale and were about 2" dia planted 3 to a pot. They flowered beautifully so I was well pleased. I lifted them in the autumn and was gobsmacked at the size of the corms, a whopping great 5-6" dia. I managed to keep them over winter and planted them out this spring. Rather than 3 to a large pot I planted them singularly. They have flowered spectacularly again, but are much bigger plants.

Now we come to our recent weather, rain, more rain and wind. The begonias have suffered rather. Their stems are about 1" thick and i thought they were robust enough to stand the abuse but the blooms are huge and heavy so several stems have broken. To date they show no signs of rooting in water.

I wondered whether begonias are treated as annuals and the tubers forsaken each year because they become too big if planted again. I hate to imagine how big the corms will be when they're dug up this autumn. I suppose you can cut them into smaller bits each with a growing shoot in the spring. Garrett I think you're the trusted expert here.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Messages In This Thread
Non stop begonias - by JJB - 11-05-2022, 09:35 AM
RE: Non stop begonias - by SarrissUK - 11-05-2022, 09:58 AM
RE: Non stop begonias - by Garrett - 11-05-2022, 11:29 AM
RE: Non stop begonias - by JJB - 11-05-2022, 11:49 AM
RE: Non stop begonias - by Veggie - 11-05-2022, 12:00 PM
RE: Non stop begonias - by JJB - 31-07-2023, 09:24 AM