2022 - What's made you happy today
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm self sufficient in lettuce during the winter months.............we don't eat salad! Big Grin
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
This is the first winter I've not been self-sufficient in salad leaves, although it would appear the slugs have been Wink Huh
Spring to autumn I sow, prick out and plant about every six weeks.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Proserpina, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Today's Happy - seeing flowers on the DFB in GH4.
They're grown from saved seeds, Marconi, but I think they've got their wires crossed as they're climbing up canes. Last year, they were neat little bushy beans.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Norfolk Grey, Proserpina

JJB Offline
Moonraker
In the last 5 years or so I must have put in at least 10 asparagus plants on and off. Not expensive ones but Home Bargains 99p sort. Probably because I was too tight to buy from a proper merchant only 2 plants have survived and I'd given up on ever having a single decent spear. My happy today is discovering one plant is throwing up 4 or 5 thumb thick spears. Can I cut all of them or do I need to leave some for the plant?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway

Broadway Offline
[attachment=4701 Wrote:JJB pid='38226' dateline='1651167324']In the last 5 years or so I must have put in at least 10 asparagus plants on and off. Not expensive ones but Home Bargains 99p sort.  Probably because I was too tight to buy from a proper merchant only 2 plants have survived and I'd given up on ever having a single decent spear. My happy today is discovering one plant is throwing up 4 or 5 thumb thick spears.  Can I cut all of them or do I need to leave some for the plant?
Can't help Jen however I also have some spears for the first time, I grew from seed so this is year 3Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Scarlet

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-04-2022, 01:34 PM)Broadway Wrote:
(28-04-2022, 06:35 PM)JJB Wrote: In the last 5 years or so I must have put in at least 10 asparagus plants on and off. Not expensive ones but Home Bargains 99p sort.  Probably because I was too tight to buy from a proper merchant only 2 plants have survived and I'd given up on ever having a single decent spear. My happy today is discovering one plant is throwing up 4 or 5 thumb thick spears.  Can I cut all of them or do I need to leave some for the plant?
Can't help Jen however I also have some spears for the first time, I grew from seed so this is year 3Smile

You're far more successful than I,  well done.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Broadway

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Fishing cheered me up today, even though I didn't catch owt! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(28-04-2022, 06:35 PM)JJB Wrote: In the last 5 years or so I must have put in at least 10 asparagus plants on and off. Not expensive ones but Home Bargains 99p sort. Probably because I was too tight to buy from a proper merchant only 2 plants have survived and I'd given up on ever having a single decent spear. My happy today is discovering one plant is throwing up 4 or 5 thumb thick spears. Can I cut all of them or do I need to leave some for the plant?

I think you can cut everything for a few weeks, 6 for mature plants, and then let everything grow. I tried leaving the spindly stuff and the plant just went cheers, and stopped growing new spears.

[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Happy - singing golden oriels.

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
I've been up to Lincolnshire to see my Grandma as she's been quite poorly over the past few days and my Mum was worried she might be on her way out (and my Grandma has been saying the same). Thankfully, just a bit dehydrated and taking medications that she should be avoiding while unwell. She's managed to keep several drinks and two small meals down and was seeming a lot perkier when I left. In fact, she'd even put Midsomer Murders on, so I am pretty confident she's not imminently dying (and have told her as much)!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 9 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Norfolk Grey, PyreneesPlot, Roitelet, Scarlet, Veggie