2024 - What I did today
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yesterday I pulled up an orange hawkbit. It was growing in the wrong place. I did spend a couple of days considering leaving it. In the end , I just couldn’t do it. So it got re homed to the neighbours.
Did a bit of weeding.
Sown seeds.
Re potted Christmas cactus. Remove 3 babies that had self rooted into their own pots.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
Dehydrating more apples today this will be my 5th jar.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Online
Moonraker
Stewed apples this morning. There was far more than P would eat in a week and I've no room in the freezer so I've bottled some in jam jars. It took me back to the mid 70s when Pand I had just bought our first bungalow. It had a really bountiful apple tree in the very small back garden. I used to stew the apples (I don't think we had a very big freezer, if we had one at all) then bottle the dollop into Kilner jars. They would fill the under bench storage in the kitchen and last P all year. I have no idea what happened to my Kilner jars. Maybe in a misguided clearing out session they were disposed of. I have my regrets about that. See decluttering is not always a good thing. Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
A bit of GH tidying, then I went to the dentist for my annual checkup. Same time, same place next year. Big Grin
Went to Morries afterwards because it was raining.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Bren Offline
(30-09-2024, 02:11 PM)JJB Wrote: Stewed apples this morning. There was far more than P would eat in a week and I've no room in the freezer so I've bottled some in jam jars. It took me back to the mid 70s when Pand I had just bought our first bungalow. It had a really bountiful apple tree in the very small back garden. I used to stew the apples (I don't think we had a very big freezer, if we had one at all) then bottle the dollop into Kilner jars. They would fill the under bench storage in the kitchen and last P all year.  I have no idea what happened to my Kilner jars. Maybe in a misguided clearing out session they were disposed of. I have my regrets about that. See decluttering is not always a good thing. Smile
I've always frozen my stewed apples never thought of putting them in jars  Blush     I've made jams and chutney  but never stewed apples. 
Do  have you got any tips  please ?

JJB Online
Moonraker
(01-10-2024, 09:10 AM)Bren Wrote:
(30-09-2024, 02:11 PM)JJB Wrote: Stewed apples this morning. There was far more than P would eat in a week and I've no room in the freezer so I've bottled some in jam jars. It took me back to the mid 70s when Pand I had just bought our first bungalow. It had a really bountiful apple tree in the very small back garden. I used to stew the apples (I don't think we had a very big freezer, if we had one at all) then bottle the dollop into Kilner jars. They would fill the under bench storage in the kitchen and last P all year.  I have no idea what happened to my Kilner jars. Maybe in a misguided clearing out session they were disposed of. I have my regrets about that. See decluttering is not always a good thing. Smile
I've always frozen my stewed apples never thought of putting them in jars  Blush     I've made jams and chutney  but never stewed apples. 
Do  have you got any tips  please ?

I'm trying to remember what I used to do with kilners. I can't remember water baths or anything, so I believe all I did was stew up the apple, sterilise the jars in the oven, and the rings and seals in boiling water, then pot up like you would a jam or chutney.   This last leek I didn't have any 2lb jars so filled up several 1lb  saved jars and sealed with their own screw tops. The tops have popped so I'm hoping they'll keep. It worked with hot blackberry couli. Time will tell. Grandma used to bottle everything and the pantry was lined with large jars of this and that.  I can't remember her even having a fridge!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Bren Offline
Thanks JJB, I've got a box of jam jars and I'll nip out to pick apples if it ever stops raining.

My mum didn't have a fridge until 1967 everything was on a slab in the pantry,  even the turkey  Confused  that seemed to last until easter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
More weeding and clearing on VPs 5 & 6. Some GH tidying of toms.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
A little bit of weeding, rock splitting, moved a big lorry tarpaulin and strimmed the area it had been sat. Ready for a delivery of manure. It didn’t happen today, hopefully soon. Finished edging the crescent bed with rocks. Started edging the fence bed. Collected seeds, hopefully for the swap. If anyone wants white scabious.
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
A day of playing with seeds. Seed cleaning & bagging, seed collecting, seed sowing. And a good bit of seed juggling.

• Garrett, Veggie