Freecycle and similar websites
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,121
Went to the FREE Clothes and Books event today. Got rid of a bag of clothes, lots of coathangers and a big bag of books. Came away with more books.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,122
The call went out locally, that the Dog's Home washing machine was broken and they were short of large blankets for the big dogs' beds. I rummaged around in the back of the airing cupboard and found an assortment of blankets and throws that I never use. Delivered them to a local lady who is organising a collection and will deliver them tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,123
IN came a Whittard's Gift box of teas - 8 different flavours - 20 tea bags of each. At one teabag a day I have free tea for 160 days. Big Grin
Also IN 3 boxes of shelled king prawns.
  • Bren, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,124
(26-09-2024, 08:16 PM)Veggie Wrote: IN came a Whittard's Gift box of teas - 8 different flavours - 20 tea bags of each. At one teabag a day I have free tea for 160 days. Big Grin
Also IN 3 boxes of shelled king prawns.

The prawns sound far more alluring than the tea.  I see high tea in your future,  delicate prawn sandwiches with exotic tea, probably Earl Grey.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,125
I've just been messaged by the "Prawn lady" - and collected them from her. Big Grin
Apparently they're in a "Too Good to Go" collection from Morrisons. It costs £5 but is worth £10 - but its only worth it if you can use everything. She's just given me a pack of prawns (£2.39), 2 tubs of cottage cheese (£1.50 each), a carrot cake (£3), 3 boxes of macaroons (£5 a box), 3 avocadoes (89p each) and 5 bags of fresh herbs (Basil x 2, mint, parsley and dill - 70p each).
She said she always gets prawns but they don't eat them but she had some lamb yesterday which was good.
I'm doing well for FREE food this week. Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,126
I looked after a chicken for the evening, i.e. put her to bed at dusk. It was no hardship, Nimrod is an enchanting chook, she thinks she's a spaniel. She talks and converses, is incredibly friendly and follows you around everywhere. She has been known to wander into the kitchen demanding attention, or perhaps food. Her mum was attending her daughter's wedding and wouldn't be home until late. For the trouble I was given a jar of jam and some lovely leftover wedding flowers. Truth be told I would have looked after Nimmy just for the pleasure of doing so.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Bren, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,127
Another good IN day in the food department. Three Harissa Butternut galettes (Tesco finest) and lots more fruit teas. I'm spoilt for choice now.
Also picked up one of those huge snuggle blanket tops. Its massive - I could get the 3 dogs inside it with me. I nearly bought one last winter but the Moneyless Chicken wouldn't give me the money. She's happy with this one as it was FREE.
I also swapped some watercress plants for some fresh Soya beans saved from this year's plants. The grower said that they cropped heavily in the GH but less well outdoors. I really must grow some next year - no more shilly shallying.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,128
Yesterday I put 3 young Christmas cactus and one young blood orange on the local plant swap/ buy/sell group. 3 of the 4 have hopefully found homes already. As long as they are actually collected. Not holding my breath. According to the rest of the island our location is equivalent to driving to the other end of the uk and they just won’t do it! Even after living on the island for 15 years I still find it amazing how reluctant people are to travel to different parts of the island. It’s really not that big! I know of people who have lived in craignure all their lives but have never driven the 15 mile over the Glen to pennyghale or beyond.
Sorry I digress. I’ve hopefully re homed some plants  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
#1,129
My reputation as a home for unwanted foodstuff is spreading. Big Grin Had a message this morning from someone who gave me some food months ago. Of course I accepted, whatever was in it!
Its mostly unused stuff from a Hello Fresh box - pak choy, spinach, mangetout, green beans, red peppers, courgette & baby tomatoes. Plus Feta cheese, Greek yogurt, Udon noodles, 3 Korean pot noodles, 2 boxes of oatcakes, lots of small packets of seasoning, sauces, herbs and spices, a bar of chocolate, a candle in a tin and a lovely bunch of flowers - chrysanths, gerbera, gypsophila, pinks and the inevitable single rose.
It feels like my birthday. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
#1,130
I was gifted two jars of homemade mincemeat and some more cooking apples, a large carrier bag full. I'll be rummaging around for jars in the loft again, I'm sure.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie