2024 - What I did today
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Continued clearing the patch I started yesterday. Lots more montbretia have bitten the dust in the green wastebin. Goodbye and good riddance.Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli

Garrett Offline
Cut the tops off all the indeterminate tomatoes and snapped off some branches to let in more light.
Deadheaded the Lucifer crocosmia.
Tied in the climbing squash and melons.
Pegged down some strawberry runners.
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I reinstated the gh shading after a few dull days and that was it outdoors today. Yesterday I watered in anticipation of the warmth and picked all sorts of beans so spent much of the day today indoors freezing those down.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Hacked my way into the brambles at the far end of the garden, where there's a dry ditch that is full of bramble roots. I've promised myself that I'll be able to walk along the ditch again, one day, but as fast as I clear a bit, the brambles swoop in from the field beyond the fence and take root again.
I collected more Bijou mangetout dry seed pods for next year's seed stock.
Looked for potatoes in the old chicken run but only found some tiny little spuds. Trying to think of something easy that I can sow there, that doesn't mind shade over winter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Saved seeds, cut back buddleia, collected sea water, strimmed cottage garden & veg garden, did some dead heading.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
More bramble hacking, montbretia uprooting, bracken pulling, fruit tree pruning and general mucking about.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Had a change today - uprooting montbretia and brambles in a different part of the garden - nearer the house this time, in what used to be a flower bed. It had a once magnificent fuchsia, Mrs Popple, I think, but last year it had an unsightly disease. I chopped it back but its not recovered. Mrs Popple has to leave the premises. Sad
I emptied a potato tub and was amazed at how many, good size spuds there were. Have replanted the tub with 2 Honey Bear baby pumpkins (the ones with hull-less seeds.).
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Its Windowsill & wormery Wednesday!
Gave the houseplants some water and TLC.
Drained the worm tea and watered the courgettes, beans and Miss P with it.
Chopped up some branches and montbretia onto the path as mulch.
Cut the bottom branches off a sweet chestnut to give more light to the long suffering plants beneath it. The chestnut was cut down to about 2' a couple of years ago - its regenerated with a vengeance. Its not a tree that I want in the garden - not in this position anyway. I still don't remember planting it!

Bren Offline
Mostly weeding here, I wish other plants grew as fast.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Physio for the shoulder in the morning, planting the last two courgette plants sown in despair earlier on. I will be picking the first courgettes from one or two of the plants in the next couple of days. This resowing of courgettes might become a fixture. i know, I know, they call it successional sowing Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie