Freecycle and similar websites
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,091
Another of my regular Freebie contacts offered my 6 tubs of single cream today. A quick google said that you need double cream for making butter and that single cream doesn't freeze well so I limited myself to 2 tubs! Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
She gave me some leeks and beetroot too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,092
Neighbour gave us a cucumber. Next but one gave Bob 3 bottles of posh beer, some holiday cottage owners from down the road turned up with 4 mackerel ( they want Bob to do some work for them  Big Grin )
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,093
IN came a metal stand that I'm going to use as "staging" in a GH - if it fits.
Also IN a small pallet bed that has a folding canopy covered in netting and/or clear plastic to protect the plants. Not sure where I'm going to put this but, hey, it was FREE, Big Grin
OUT went 2 bags of books, one of the collectors left 2 books for me.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,094
IN came 2 boxes of dog biscuits, 2 magazine boxes (though I use them for other things like shampoos, rolls of kitchen foil/clingfilm, cleaning products, cooking trays etc) and lots of IKEA fabric dividers for drawers and boxes. One day I will be organised, maybe!
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,095
IN came 2 binbags of wool insulation. I have this thought that I could use it over winter as weed suppressant on the bits of ground that are unplanted.
I'm also using it to line the supermarket veg crates and I have another "plan" to fill a GH or 2 with crates overwinter for winter veg.
  • Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,096
Went to the £5 x 2 Pantry today - I've missed 2 weeks because I wanted to run down my stocks a bit - especially the freezer.
Picked up some spuds, cauliflower, leeks, avocado, apples, oranges, kiwifruit, strawberries, rhubarb, 4 punnets of mushrooms, yogurts, mozzarella, stilton and gruyere cheese, steak slices, sardines, granola, egg fried rice, bread, crisps & cans and an enormous iced party cake. Also shower gel and deodorant.
The girl in charge of the frozen food forgot to offer me any and I assumed the freezer was empty so didn't ask. She's messaged me to apologise and to say that she had put 2 bags of KFC aside ready for me so I can have extra next week. It was my fault for talking so much and distracting her. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,097
£5 Pantry this morning where I collected 2 bags of KFC that I should have had last week, plus some M&S Prawn curries, strawberries, various veg & fruit, porridge, peanut butter, milk and cheese. There was more but don't want to bore you. Big Grin
  • Bren, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,098
Earlier this week I offered some cookery books on the freebie site to two people, both of whom have given me several items previously. I'd also offered to deliver them as they live near Morrisons and not far out of my way. One of them doesn't have a car anyway so would struggle to collect from me.
Today I found out that both ladies have been in hospital this week with clots on their lungs Sad
I asked the car-less lady if she needed any food from Morrisons as I knew she had children and a big rescue dog to feed so my afternoon has been spent shopping for them (and us) and delivering it and the books to both ladies.
That's my good deed for the day. Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,099
IN came 2 bags of books, some stationery, 3 little baskets that look ideal for picking fruit and beans into and a Train Set in a Tin!.
OUT went 2 useless Dyson cleaners that have gone for spares.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
#1,100
£5 Pantry this morning.
Baby potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, plums, lots of bananas (20+), apples, pear, aubergines, a courgette, KFC, Vegan "meat", carrot & coriander soup, milk, yogurt, eggs, pasta, baked beans, rice pudding, soft drinks, crisps, bread rolls, chocolates, and a potted rosemary.
  • Small chilli