Non F1 alternative to Sungold
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I like Sungold tomatoes (a lot) but I'm mindful of of a wish to grow less F1 varieties, although I'm not succeeding very well in that direction. Anyone know of a non-F1 alternative to Sungold's sweetness?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve started growing rosella instead. Because I didn’t like the F1 part of sungold.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not a fan of sweet tomatoes, so can't help you. Sorry.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/fi...varieties/
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-07-2024, 11:21 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ve started growing rosella instead. Because I didn’t like the F1 part of sungold.

I've got some Rosella growing  in the gh, it'll be interesting to compare the two. I'm not intending to go completely  OP yet, baby steps.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
There have been numerous attempts to de-hybridise Sungold, but I don't think any of them have quite capture the unique taste/aroma.

The most well-known are probably Sungold Select, Sungold Select II and Big Sungold Select, all bred by Reinhard Kraft.

There's also the Ambrosia line of cherries from J&L Gardens. I'm not sure if they came from Sungold, but the mentions of spicy and tropical in some of the descriptions make me think they did.

Gobstopper is a quite recent one from Brown Envelope Seeds in Ireland.

There are also some very highly rated de-hybridisations of Sunsugar called Honey Drop (not the pear-shaped one) and Pink Princess.

Black Hole Sun, Sweet As Linda and Chocolate Drop all have Sungold as one of the parents.

I've also read good things about Santiam Sunrise, Snow White and Isis Candy.

These aren't commercial varieties so you'll have to get them from smaller seed sellers.

You can get Pink Princess from Tomato Fifou (I have ordered from them a few times before and they are very good) - https://www.tomatofifou.com/en/produit/pink-princess/

Meraki Seeds have Big Sungold Select, Sungold Select II, Honey Drop, Pink Princess, Gobstopper, four of the Ambrosia cherries, and a few of the other varieties I mentioned (I've not ordered from them before) - https://merakiseeds.com/
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(13-07-2024, 08:01 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: There have been numerous attempts to de-hybridise Sungold, but I don't think any of them have quite capture the unique taste/aroma.

The most well-known are probably Sungold Select, Sungold Select II and Big Sungold Select, all bred by Reinhard Kraft.

There's also the Ambrosia line of cherries from J&L Gardens. I'm not sure if they came from Sungold, but the mentions of spicy and tropical in some of the descriptions make me think they did.

Gobstopper is a quite recent one from Brown Envelope Seeds in Ireland.

There are also some very highly rated de-hybridisations of Sunsugar called Honey Drop (not the pear-shaped one) and Pink Princess.

Black Hole Sun, Sweet As Linda and Chocolate Drop all have Sungold as one of the parents.

I've also read good things about Santiam Sunrise, Snow White and Isis Candy.

These aren't commercial varieties so you'll have to get them from smaller seed sellers.

You can get Pink Princess from Tomato Fifou (I have ordered from them a few times before and they are very good) - https://www.tomatofifou.com/en/produit/pink-princess/

Meraki Seeds have Big Sungold Select, Sungold Select II, Honey Drop, Pink Princess, Gobstopper, four of the Ambrosia cherries, and a few of the other varieties I mentioned (I've not ordered from them before) - https://merakiseeds.com/

I knew I could rely on you TMTT.  Food for thought there.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
Obviously you'll have to buy them all and have a taste off.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-07-2024, 12:00 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Obviously you'll have to buy them all and have a taste off.
then save & share the seed in the next swap  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(14-07-2024, 12:00 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Obviously you'll have to buy them all and have a taste off.

Who me!? That's not likely but might happen over time.  I've got Santiam Sunrise on my list for next year.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(14-07-2024, 09:26 AM)JJB Wrote:

Who me!? That's not likely but might happen over time.  I've got Santiam Sunrise on my list for next year.
Plenty of time before next season for your resolve to weaken.  Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli