Hotbins
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I started filling it 10th Dec - 16 days ago. Its 2/3rds full now and its up to the operating temperature. I'd say it was working, Spec. Smile
There is a slight smell when you open the lid and lots of steam but its just the smell of compost - not as stinky as comfrey tea. You probably wouldn't want it in the kitchen but that's all.
The big test will be the quality of whatever comes out.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
Thanks Veggie I am prouching around for some good insulation boards which I will use for making a hotbin, I think that would be the best way for me to get compost as I usually struggle to get compost heaps up to temperature
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Mamzie, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've always been a bit of a random composter - preferring to chop and drop or throw vegetable waste to the chooks than carry it to the proper compost bin at the end of the garden.
Having the Hotbin close to the house has made me change my routine. Now I'm actively looking for compost material, like the montbretia, chopping down the mint, shredding more paper because I know Mr Greedy likes a regular meal. I would never have collected so much compost material in 10 days without him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Spec

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-12-2020, 10:26 AM)Veggie Wrote: Boxing Day Update at 9.15am.
Air temp = 10
GH = 15
Mr G's Lid = 26
Mr G's Tummy = 44. Smile
27/12
Mr G's Lid = 26
Tummy = 46.

Forgot to note the other temps, sorry.
The contents are settling, its about half full now, still steaming, not smelling.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB

Spec Offline
I have been reading through the thread as I am thinking about buying a hotbin and was looking for some guidance on whither to purchase a 100lt. or a 200lt. bin and reading Vinnys post about it becoming more a religion than adding organic material to the soil made me wonder if I really need one and what do I need it for, the one thing that I could add to it which I normally send to the recycle bin is food waste and there's not a lot of that, mostly chicken bones and the likes of that, though it will give usable compost sooner than the average composting, so if I go for a hotbin should I get large bin or a small bin or do I make one or simply carry on doing it as I have been doing it, decisions, decisionsRolleyes
[-] The following 3 users Like Spec's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I asked myself all the same questions, Spec, and have been asking them every year for years! Its a big investment.
I don't have any food waste because either the dogs or the chickens clear it up and, as a non-meat eater, there aren't many bones.Smile
As I said earlier, its making me "find" compost material, but that's not a bad thing. Chopping up montbretia is enjoyable now, because it has a use, not just a waste of space.
I've always shredded waste paper, usually for the chicken run, but there's plenty to spare.
I wouldn't bother with the half-size bin as I've already 2/3rds filled a 200ltr one. Both sizes have the same footprint.
If I come across any thermal insulation panels, I may try making one for the far end of the garden but I think this one will be more than enough for me.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
Thanks Veggie, I can get a king span sheet along with off cuts from a friend but wonder if I'd be better buying the real thing and if I do buy one I will get the larger bin, after all I don't spend a lot of money on anything as I don't smoke or drink, correction, I don't buy drinkRolleyes I will give it some thought
[-] The following 4 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've spent so little this year because of Covid that I decided to treat myself. Wink
The real thing is well made and look nice, not a botched up thing that I might make from offcuts. Maybe it depends on where its to be sited - if its constant view from your house, a homemade one might look a bit unsightly. Once its full it will be difficult to move so make sure that Mrs Spec doesn't object to it!!!
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Small chilli, Spec

Spec Offline
What makes you think OHs objections have anything to with it Confused but it would be visible from the conservatory, so purely in the interests if self preservation I might buy one, if I'm allowed, I will go and ask if I can order one this year
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(29-12-2020, 05:30 PM)Spec Wrote: Thanks Veggie, I can get a king span sheet along with off cuts from a friend but wonder if I'd be better buying the real thing and if I do buy one I will get the larger bin, after all I don't spend a lot of money on anything as I don't smoke or drink, correction, I don't buy drinkRolleyes I will give it some thought

You need to think why you want one. I bought one in the hope that the compost would be largely weed free, also I'm fed up of rats digging through them. I've placed it on a concrete slab and not in an out of the way corner to hopefully deter them. I've just about got rid of a carpet of dock weeds that came up 2019 when I spread the compost from my heap. I think one must have been hiding on the heep and seeded. Most annual seeds should be killed but some are more resilient including tomato (not really a problem) and docks (bit more of a problem).
I bought it May 2019 and haven't used any yet as, at the same flower show! I bought a supply of Dalefoot compost. The first time I'll be using it (the compost from the hotbin) is this Spring. I've not been particularly good at mixing brown and green stuff and a lot that I have taken out has been very wet. But I'm hoping, when I dig into the dalek, which is full, it will be nice and crumbly and a lot drier.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Spec, Veggie