Hotbins
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I've been thinking of buying a "treat"  with the money I've managed not to spend during Covid - something I wouldn't normally buy for myself. All I can think of is a Hotbin!!

My main reservation (apart from the price) is that I have very little household food waste - not with 3 dogs and a chicken! So I might have to create stuff to be composted.
Do any of you have any experience with Hotbins (No Baldy, this is a sensible question. Tongue)

Please don't suggest a Wormery instead as I've failed miserably with them  and I'm no good with normal compost bins either!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Can’t help I’m afraid veggie. A hot composter is something I’ve been considering for myself as well. The last 4 years in fact  Rolleyes . I’m also not sure I’d use it as it should be, so it wouldn’t work properly. From the research I’ve done. You do need to feed it regularly. So I’m still on the fence about one. But I do like the idea of compost ready to use a lot more quickly.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
No idea about hotbins, price put me off and the qty produced at one time rather small, but as an alternative how about a dehydrator or a fruit press for all your apples.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

SarrissUK Offline
I've thought about a hotbin too, mainly because I'd like to have one of them for home, and just one normal compost bin. The other could then go up to the allotment. I have plenty to put in it, and I need more compost quicker, so it ticks all the boxes for me Smile

I can't really think of anything else that I want to buy, other than more compost than I can get delivered lol I still need to get clippers for the poodle and another battery for the strimmer, but other than that, I don't really need anything.

Go for it Veggie - I think I just might too Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like SarrissUK's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(29-05-2020, 08:48 PM)JJB Wrote: No idea about hotbins, price put me off and the qty produced at one time rather small,  but as an alternative how about a dehydrator or a fruit press for all your apples.
A dehydrator is a good thought - especially as the one I was gifted stopped working in the midst of a tomato glut! No wonder it was on Freecycle!
I have a steam juicer which is good for fruit juice as it sterilises the juice and you can bottle it without further processing. Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_juicer
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Norfolk Grey

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve recently got an all singing all dancing dehydrator. Love it, it’s halved the time of my drying. In fact the only reason I’m growing beefsteak tomatoes this year is because I found a recipe for tomatoes and Parmesan crisps  Rolleyes . 

I think the hotbin if used properly would still produce enough. Because as soon as it’s ready I’d bag it up and start again. I’m guessing it’d still make compost all though the winter as well, if a little slower.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Bren Offline
(30-05-2020, 08:17 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ve recently got an all singing all dancing dehydrator. Love it, it’s halved the time of my drying. In fact the only reason I’m growing beefsteak tomatoes this year is because I found a recipe for tomatoes and Parmesan crisps  Rolleyes . 
Sc can you post the recipe/how to please up to yet I've only used mine for apples.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-05-2020, 10:20 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(29-05-2020, 08:48 PM)JJB Wrote: No idea about hotbins, price put me off and the qty produced at one time rather small,  but as an alternative how about a dehydrator or a fruit press for all your apples.
A dehydrator is a good thought - especially as the one I was gifted stopped working in the midst of a tomato glut! No wonder it was on Freecycle!
I have a steam juicer which is good for fruit juice as it sterilises the juice and you can bottle it without further processing. Something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_juicer

That steam juicer is a novel idea, my goodness you do learn about new things on this forum.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Norfolk Grey

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-05-2020, 08:48 AM)Bren Wrote:
(30-05-2020, 08:17 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ve recently got an all singing all dancing dehydrator. Love it, it’s halved the time of my drying. In fact the only reason I’m growing beefsteak tomatoes this year is because I found a recipe for tomatoes and Parmesan crisps  Rolleyes . 
Sc can you post the recipe/how to please up to yet I've only used mine for apples.
I’ve put a link in the kitchen section Bren  Smile .
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
        Having spent the last few evenings reading reviews of Hotbins (£200), Green Johannas (£90), Green Cones  and various other types of composter I've decided on a DIY one made from a redundant wormery wrapped in bubble wrap.  Cool

I will try to follow the hotbin advice and layer the stuff I put in it. As for testing the temperature - I have a jam thermometer.  Wink
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, SarrissUK, Small chilli