Eat your Flowers
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I had to look up the first 2 on your list. Agastache AKA hyssop I grow all the time. Bees love it. I very rarely eat it though. I didn’t realise cornflower or bergamot were edible. Any varieties? Which bits edible? I grow both them. And my millet has failed to germinate.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
And tiny single tagetes (like the lemon gem that came in the seed swop)- really citrussy.
And violas.
And basil flowers.
And cornflower petals .
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-04-2023, 11:08 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm revisiting this thread and making a list of Ornamental/Edible plants I want to try growing. So far:-
Agastache, Amaranth, Bergamot, Cornflower, Chinese Violet Cress, Chamomile, Caraway, Cumin, Dill, Flax, Fennel, Millet. Nigella, Bread seed Poppy, Quinoa, Sunflower.
There'll be more. Big Grin
+ Borage, Calendula, Huazontle, Malabar Spinach, Nasturtium, Orach, Perilla, Soapwort, Tree Spinach

I may have said this before (many times) but I have this dream garden that is filled with edible or useful plants that are also ornamental. A garden that I can wander in, picking and nibbling as I go. If I had a blank canvas (like SC) that's what I'd be doing.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Don’t forget the daylilies  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-04-2023, 08:30 AM)Small chilli Wrote: I had to look up the first 2 on your list. Agastache AKA hyssop I grow all the time. Bees love it. I very rarely eat it though. I didn’t realise cornflower or bergamot were edible. Any varieties? Which bits edible? I grow both them. And my millet has failed to germinate.
Bergamot/Monarda didyma https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinNa...rda+didyma

Cornflower/Centaurea cyanus https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinNa...rea+cyanus

Agastache Foeniculum /Korean Mint https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinNa...foeniculum

Other varieties of all of these are available. The pfaf website is my main source for information on edible plants.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(10-04-2023, 11:42 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Don’t forget the daylilies  Big Grin
Impossible to forget them - they're everywhere now. I started with a few roots from an Aunt-in-law's garden about 40 years ago. As they spread, I divided them and had this crazy idea of dotting them down the garden alongside a "path" so that, when they all flowered there would be a chain of orange flowers to mark the route. Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Tomorrow - weather permitting, I'm going to sow some Agastache, Adenophora triphylla and Anise - all have edible uses. Not sure about the viability of some of the seeds as they're all quite ancient - but they'll never grow in a drawer!
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Are we going alphabetical with edible seeds too?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I grew monarda last year. Whilst I loved the smell, I'm not sure I would want it sprinkled on my plate. There are reasons we have moved away from lots of these plants - they taste bloody awfulBig Grin. I love a few petals of something to brighten up a salad but for me they are mostly a garnish or something added for a bit of fun. Tree spinach I absolutely love on a salad, but again just a sprinkle on top of some leaves.... but its a thug, I still get volunteers maybe 10 years ago since I planted it.
The monarda Im treating as annuals - they didnt survive the winter but I absolutely loved the variety I grew last year. There are lots of different ones. I grew lambada last year but Ive also grown a citrus smelling one - lemon bergamot/monarda citriodora, which also smelt amazing.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The Monarda I want to grow are for herb tea rather than nibbling
Scarlet, I grew some of your Tree spinach years ago and its finally disappeared but, I have plenty more seeds. Big Grin Have you tried it in flower arrangements?