Plants to aid your environment
Spec Offline
Trees and bushes are sometimes planted along road ways or around factories to help reduce noise pollution, but just read today that the RHS would recommend cotoneaster franchetii to fight air pollution. So what other plants can be used to improve the environment
[-] The following 2 users Like Spec's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB

Admin Offline
The Boss
Willow trees are good for the environment Spec, often used to help land prone to flooding and the root system is very good at stabilising soil on slopes. The catkins are also beneficial to bees and butterflies
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Spec

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
(26-03-2021, 07:25 PM)Admin Wrote: Willow trees are good for the environment Spec, often used to help land prone to flooding and the root system is very good at stabilising soil on slopes. The catkins are also beneficial to bees and butterflies
Loads of them willow down here on the Bog, locally called Sally’s Smile
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, Spec

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
Many years ago when I was on holiday in central Turkey, I was told the roadsides were planted with oleander bushes because Turkish people smoked like chimneys and tossed the butts out of their car windows. Oleanders are very fire resistant apparently.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 5 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, JJB, Spec, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(26-03-2021, 08:07 PM)Can the Man Wrote:
(26-03-2021, 07:25 PM)Admin Wrote: Willow trees are good for the environment Spec, often used to help land prone to flooding and the root system is very good at stabilising soil on slopes. The catkins are also beneficial to bees and butterflies
Loads of them willow down here on the Bog, locally called Sally’s Smile
Sally's from Salix or Sallows, presumably.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Moth, Spec

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Surly most plants are good for the environment! No plants means no pollinators, no pollinators, means no plants and no bigger beasties that feed on the plants and / or the pollinators and so on.
Obviously there’s a few exceptions to this rule. The one that springs to mind is rhododendron. Supports very little insect life & poisons the ground it grows in.

Have I over simplified things again?  Big Grin Rolleyes
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Eyren, JJB, Spec, Veggie, Vinny

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
Apparently rice is very good at absorbing arsenic - which is a good reason not to eat too much of it!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(27-03-2021, 08:05 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Surly most plants are good for the environment! No plants means no pollinators, no pollinators, means no plants and no bigger beasties that feed on the plants and / or the pollinators and so on.
Obviously there’s a few exceptions to this rule. The one that springs to mind is rhododendron. Supports very little insect life & poisons the ground it grows in.

Have I over simplified things again?  Big Grin Rolleyes
That's my thoughts too, SC. Plants absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen to enable us to breathe - that sounds good to me.Smile
We wouldn't survive in a world without plants.

The RHS article that Spec refers to is https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/articles/...r6fZizFHAY
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
The cotoneaster only traps the pollution in its hairy leaves, it doesn't absorb it or alter it, so when it rains, all that trapped particulate matter will be washed onto the soil below. Unlucky gardener! And who has room for a 2 metre deep hedge in their front garden?
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-03-2021, 10:33 AM)Moth Wrote: The cotoneaster only traps the pollution in its hairy leaves, it doesn't absorb it or alter it, so when it rains, all that trapped particulate matter will be washed onto the soil below. Unlucky gardener! And who has room for a 2 metre deep hedge in their front garden?

Funnily enough, although not 2m deep we have.  It's s about 4m x 1m in our front as a boundary, also one in the back.  They maybe good for the environment and the bees love it but P complains bitterly when cutting, he has to wear a respirator as their dust creates havoc with his asthma - hopefully it's only dust not pollution as they're away from the road.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Veggie