Veggie's random garden
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

The old pond being turned into a growing bed.
Pic. 1 as it was 3rd May
Pic. 2 - this morning with carpet!
Pic 3 - Now. Getting there slowly. All pond liner, bubble wrap, carpet and table top have been removed. Two barrow loads of wood ash from the bonfire pit added. The other piles are gravel from the bottom of the pond.
The next step is to lift some wood slices and drop them into the pond. Some of these slices are in Pic. 4 - they were stepping stones but became very slippery when wet. 
The gravel and woodash will be spread around to fill the cracks.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, doublyjonah, Mark_Riga, MartinH, Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

Today's progress and a change of plan. Big Grin

Dug up the first drum of wood and rolled it into the middle of the pond. Unfortunately, its so thick that the top is about level with the sides of the pond. It can stay there and become a "feature" as its too big to remove. At a guess, most of the other drums will be as thick and, therefore, not suitable for going into the pond. They'll be stacked somewhere to dry out. In case you're wondering, they're too big and heavy to go on the log splitter.
I've started dragging the surrounding soil into the pond and more wood ash has also been added. 
The change of plan - once I have as much "soil" in there as I can find, I'll make planting holes filled with compost for courgettes and squashes. Hopefully, they can spread over the ground and produce a few courgettes, whilst making lots of foliage that can be left to compost in situ.

I've given away the old water pump as it was getting in the way. Sorry to see it go but, it was given to me some years ago by a man who bought my old car. I went to his house to deliver it and did the obligatory tour of the garden. He had an underground rainwater storage tank and used this pump to extract the water for the garden. His house was about to be extended and the tank had to be moved so he asked if I'd like the pump. How could I say No? He still has my car as I see it in his drive when I go to Morrisons.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • doublyjonah, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Progressing nicely with your pond deconstruction  Cool .
I wish I was closer to you, I’d of bitten your hand off for that water pump.  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
You would have been welcome to it, SC. Dread to think what the postage would have been if I'd sent it. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

Added some grass cuttings to the old pond and cleared part of the "path" around the far side,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

The dry pond, planted with 16 courgettes and squashes 3 days ago.  There are some spare plants on the log in the middle - in case of failures.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, MartinH

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Veggie you might be able to supply the church food bank with your excess courgettes, if in fact there are any excess ones. Smile where's your challenge pumpkin? I've only got 9 courgette plants, I can't live up to your example.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My challenge pumpkins are tucked up warm in GH3 - they're thinking about showing their heads out of the compost!. I'm a late starter. Big Grin
Some of the pond plants are Cha Cha winter squash - don't want you to think I'm growing 16 courgettes - although there are 5 more in another place and about 6 more to plant out somewhere. I like courgettes.
I have a similar number of cucumbers looking for a space!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I had 2 cucumbers last year that produced more than enough for the 2 of us. I planted out the same this year but one died on me. I've told the survivor that it will have to work extra hard to make up for it's mate. There are a few cucumbers developing on it now - hoping for the first in about 10 days to 2 weeks.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My cucumbers & courgettes weren't good last year, in fact last year wasn't very good, full stop. I've sown far more plants than I need this year as an insurance policy. I'm expecting to be picking Beth Alpha cucumbers soon too. No sign of any courgettes yet though.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny