What's your position - Latitude & Longitude?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm 51.11N 1.73W, now to figure out who else is on those lines.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(20-03-2021, 10:42 PM)Eyren Wrote: The thing about latitude is that the Gulf Stream makes a massive difference. I'd be surprised if someone from Maine could learn anything useful from French winter growing techniques!

Continental climates, in both the US and Russia, are much more extreme than our temperate island. I've visited Minnesota in July and it's significantly hotter than England at that time of year, but they also have really cold winters, similar to Norway (it's no coincidence that most Midwesterners are descended from northern Europeans).

I'm in a gardening group on Ravelry (an online community for knitters and other woolly crafts), and most of the other members are in North America, from northern Saskatchewan in Canada down to Phoenix, Arizona. I remember being amazed that I'm at the same latitude as Saskatoon, Canada, which is Zone 3b in American gardening terms, whereas Cambridge is roughly Zone 8b/9a (depending on who you ask). Of course US hardiness zones don't entirely apply to the UK anyway, since we have more extreme day lengths which are just as significant as temperature ranges.
Years ago in my youth I went out with a lass from Saskatchewan. It was a fairly mild winter here but she was always wrapped up and cold. I remember her saying where she came from it was a 'dry' cold and she felt a lot warmer there than in England.. Dunno whether this would make a difference, just saying. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Its rather alarming that the majority of the line of latitude I am on passes through either Alaska or Russia! Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie

Eyren Offline
Hardy perennial
(21-03-2021, 01:17 PM)Vinny Wrote: Years ago in my youth I went out with a lass from Saskatchewan. It was a fairly mild winter here but she was always wrapped up and cold. I remember her saying where she came from it was a 'dry' cold and she felt a lot warmer there than in England.. Dunno whether this would make a difference, just saying. Rolleyes

I had a Russian work colleague who was just the same - he hated the dampness of English winters and found them uncomfortably chilly, much to our amusement!
How much veg and wildlife can I pack into a 6m x 8m garden in suburban Cambridge? Let’s find out!  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Eyren's post:
  • Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
The nearest coordinates I could find is for the nearest village Carragh - https://geohack.toolforge.org/geohack.ph..._type:city
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(21-03-2021, 07:17 PM)Can the Man Wrote: The nearest coordinates I could find is for the nearest village Carragh - https://geohack.toolforge.org/geohack.ph..._type:city

If you use google maps, just click on your house, or nearby, and the co-ordinates should come up.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 2 users Like Moth's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie