Flowers for an end of June wedding
Farendwoman Offline
Only daughter is hoping that her wedding on June 26th won’t be cancelled, and wanting good old Mum to provide :-
. bouquets for herself and three bridesmaids, 
buttonholes for six chaps, 
posies for the tables 
and larger displays for church and venue.
I must have had a bottle of wine or two before saying “OK”.
Colour theme is pink/mauve/white.
I should be ok for table posies because I got my sweet peas planted out yesterday(protected by old double glazing panels).
Going to team those with thlaspi green bells which have also been planted out this morning.
Hoping to have plenty of pink and white hydrangeas - will those be in full flow by end of June?
Any other suggestions gratefully received!
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, mcdood, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

MHave you sown enything?
Cornflowers
Orlaya
Ammi
Snapdragons
Larkspur
Cosmos.
Scabious
Knautia
Clary sage - you can get it in purple white and pink.

Veronica
Roses
Peonies? They are over before end of June here.

I just had a look at some of my photos from last year. If you have a greenhouse and keep dahlia tuber undercover you could get a fair amount flowering by end June. You would need to get them sprouting indoors.

[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, mcdood, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
And yes, I like pink....even though I'm not a "pink" girl Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
I have nothing to offer on varieties but successional sowing and a variety of temperatures (under glass, indoor, outdoor etc) are likely to be your friend. I would consider planting a variety of seed in several different locations to increase your chance of somethings being open and looking good on the dY.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, mcdood

Farendwoman Offline
(18-03-2021, 10:44 PM)Scarlet Wrote: MHave you sown enything?
Cornflowers
Orlaya
Ammi
Snapdragons
Larkspur
Cosmos.
Scabious
Knautia
Clary sage - you can get it in purple white and pink.

Veronica
Roses
Peonies? They are over before end of June here.

I just had a look at some of my photos from last year. If you have a greenhouse and keep dahlia tuber undercover you could get a fair amount flowering by end June. You would need to get them sprouting indoors.
Have planted out a few “standard” blue cornflowers from an Autumn sowing.
Have just bought a pack of mixed cornflowers from Lidl and they popped up in three days.
i’ve never had much success with snapdragons, so giving them a miss.
Got sowings of cosmos, orlaya and the three colours of clary going.
Wondering if I ought to order some cosmos plug plants as well.
Hadn't thought of scabious and larkspur - good idea - thank you. Do you reckon I’d have any if I sowed them today?
Not going to bother with dahlias, but thanks for the suggestion. Too many earwigs for my liking.

Farendwoman Offline
(18-03-2021, 11:04 PM)Scarlet Wrote: And yes, I like pink....even though I'm not a "pink" girl Big Grin
Lovely photos Scarlet.is the first one (pink veronica) an annual?

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I wouldn't rule any flowers out, you may be thankful for a bucket of single dahlias.
I must be blind to earwigs...I never seem to get many. The single bishops would be a good option if you don't want them...they have nowhere to hide. A few bishops tubers now would give you a good flower.

Plugs of snapdragons? They were amazing for me last year.

I've recycled my SR a catalogue

I sow lots of those varieties autumn and Spring, so I'm not sure how long each one from seed. If you have a greenhouse, plant some in the borders as you will get bigger plants? I'd check Chilterns seeds for how long each one flower from seed to be sure.
The Veronica is a perennial. I'd be looking in friends gardens now - it's surprising what you can find when you know what to look for. I think cosmos will definitely be your friend here. They are usually brimming with flowers. Why didn't she tell you last autumn? Big Grin such an exciting thing to do.
Garden flowers are beautiful, for button holes ive often used poppy seed heads, maybe buy in a couple of early Chrysanthemum pot plants?
Nigella is quick from seed?
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, mcdood, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
You’re a star Scarlet
Thank you for all the suggestions.
Nigella is such a good idea!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet